Has anyone compared Mc500 to new Mc402 ...

emile

Has anyone compared Mc500 to new Mc402 ... Mc352 or Mc602 ?
Units with new "quad-differential" design

Last edited:
I am going to spend quite some time at the SF dealer when they get the new 275 in stock, it might be in now! :)

Carl

Hi Bill and CarlV
In fact I have a Ma6450 and a Mc275CE and several other gears ...

I've just bought a pair of ML Sequel II, though I'm a Tannoy fan !
But electrostatics has a magic than "box speakers" doesn't have.
They do lack in dynamics, I must agree
But vocals "any Callas records' " or jazz , like on "Oscar Peterson trio / We get requests" disc = you're on stage or in the night-club !

I want to upgrade because the ML like power :
a. I buy another Mc275Ce or ARC VT 50, and I go bi-amp or "monos"
b. a Mc402 or a used Mc500
c. I have a Rowland Synergy 2i, but a Mc2200 is on my short list !

Did anyone compare a Mc2200 to ARC Ref One ? :confused: ;) or MkII ?

Emile,

I was at a dealer the other day who had the new MC252 driving B&W 800s using the MDA1000 as a pre amp with the MCD205 as a transport. This was the best I have heard the 800s sound. Totally an out of box experience with huge dynamics.

Ron-C

Emile,
This highlights a common problem for most of us. How can you make any kind of meaningful comparisons without an army of well stocked dealers? The only place I can think of in North America where you could compare an MC500 to almost everything else on your list is Audio Classics in Vestal, N.Y. (Vestal is just down the road from Binghampton). They are McIntosh dealers but they also do a huge business in used equipment from a number of manufacturers. It would be rare if they didn't have all the McAmps you mentioned available for demo but they are a rarity. Fortunately for you Upper New York State is quite handy!! You must have a good selection of high end dealers in Paris. How much inventory would the McIntosh dealer carry? What other lines does he carry? Perhaps an AudioKarma Weekend in Paris would be appropriate (purely in the interests of research of course!).
You are looking at some pretty serious stuff. I've heard an ARC Reference system and it was gorgeous but it was the only high end line the dealer carried and the only thing he had to compare to was Musical Fidelity. I know the reviewers rave about MF but I don't get it and I can guarantee you it doesn't hold a candle to ARC...but I digress..
I've heard a couple of bi-amped systems and in those systems it was definitely worthwhile. I recently heard a pair of Magnaplanars (1.6 as I recall) bi-amped with Bryston amps and a Bryston crossover and the transformation from the single amp setup was quite startling... It would be interesting to hear how well it works with your ML's.
Regrdz
Bill

The MC402 is reviewed in this month's Absolute Sound and the reviewer seems to think it is a big improvement over the $34K Australian mono amps he was using. He is using Quad speakers so your results may vary.

Ron-C

Hi Ron
I've dowloaded the issue of TAS ;-)

Hi Bill
McIntosh has lot of reviews with the last models in France : Mc352, Mc501, Mc1201, C46, etc ...
but the brand suffers of prejudices, stupids ones of course.

So there are no dealer demonstrating the last models in Paris, only vintage or second-hand units !
So I will be happy in helping to set-up a AudioKarma workshop in Paris.

I did have a ARC SP16 that works great with the Mc275, and listen to LS22 and LS25 : the ARC pre are very good units !

BUT a Mc2200 will perfectly mate with my Mc275CE.

Finally, I've got my Sequel II at home for a week, and ...
it sounds GREAT with my Mc275CE and Ma6450 :cool:
I will try bi-amping just for testing, because I find it works well with only one amp.

A more powerful amp like a Mc402 is still on my short-list, but rather for Christmas :
I'll visit a friend in SF this summer and try to visit a Mc dealer:) :cool:

ljgj, a McIntosh-lover (and owner) over on audiogon, has compared the MC500 to the MC352 - which he owns -, and found the MC352 to be the better sounding unit. Go over and do a search of the discussion forums. The new MC402 is another step up from the MC352, from what ljgj says.

Back
Top Bottom