HAS ANYONE HEARD OF PIONEER CD-C5?

bimasta

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Pioneer Elite CD-C5 player. It's a small thing (10"Wx4"Hx13"D; 7lbsW), silver with a nicely sculpted face. It has the inverted "Stable Platter" transport which Theta and Wadia bought from Pioneer by the container-load for their Megabuck High End players 20 years ago. Disc is inserted upside-down, and the damped platter supports it like an LP on a turntable (reducing vibration and reading errors). Laser reads from above, so no dust/dirt/eyelash falls onto the lens.

It also has the Pioneer Elite "Legato Link" processor — their attempt to upsample beyond the Redbook limit by "extrapolating" musical information up to 44kHz. (I used to have the popular Elite PD-65, which still fetches high prices, $300-400, with the same features — but that weighed 3 times as much with far more sophisticated power supply, analogue output stage and other features the little one lacks.)

I got it as a complete "Midi System" at Goodwill for $69, including FM-AM Tuner (pretty good, not great), Casette Deck (untested), 40W integrated amp with MM phono (okay, but haven't let it warm up), and gorgeous 2-way speakers in slope-sided gloss-black-lacquer cabinets (okay, but haven't let them break in). All components in As-New condition (minor scratches, one speaker), and elegantly styled, indeed sexy. Vintage ca 1995.

Strangely, there is virtually nothing on the internet about these units. Like they never existed. Which is odd considering these were Pioneer's 'high end' digital features of the day, included in a lightweight bookshelf system.

My primary interest is the CD-C5. It's nice to have a smallish CD player. It functions perfectly. It sounds great, sweet tone, and the Legato Link gives the illusion of subtle spatial cues, venue ambience, and expansive soundstage. I've sampled it from Monk Live to Mozart Quartets to Massive Attack and I really like it.

Is anyone familiar with this unit, or the system of which it is part?

Last edited:
Nothing on the Web, nothing on AK. Must be very rare. Does it even exist? Seems to... I can see it, and it plays music.

You sure it isn't a PD-C5?
Moejr, you have succeeded in two ways:

1) Identifying the player; and
2) Making me feel like an idiot. It says PD-C5 right on the fascia — it's a small font but not invisible.

So thank you! Do you know anything about it? Or the system it came with? The internet is silent.

Not familiar with the player myself. I linked the owners manual in my previous post. That with give you the specs for it. Looks like a nice little unit.

Very interesting. I to would love to see some pictures of the entire system. Sounds like a sweet find. Congrats!!!

Will do, Boonaroo. May take a few days to clear space to set 'em up. They're quite pretty and it calls for some 'glamor photography...'

An idle question... Why does an audiophile post a GIF of a man applauding terrible music?

Will do, Boonaroo. May take a few days to clear space to set 'em up. They're quite pretty and it calls for some 'glamor photography...'

An idle question... Why does an audiophile post a GIF of a man applauding terrible music?

LOL I wouldn't quite classify myself as an audiophile, but pretty close. I saw that over at www.fark.com and liked it. Have a great day!!!

Back
Top Bottom