Has anyone heard the Bohlender Graebener Neo 10 planar midrange?

Damn neodymium prices, I remember when those were around $80:sigh:

I haven't heard them but have used the neo 3 pdr in a couple of speakers:scratch2:

Fancy ob plans?

Fancy ob plans?

picture.php
[/IMG]

I want to get rid of the relacement Goldwood mid-drivers and no-name tweeters some prior owner stuck in these. And I'm not about to spend $900-1200 on six EMIMs.
That Neo3 is a very nice tweeter. I have a set (in dipole configuration) in some OB's I built.

Do you know any VMPS owners? They use a lot of BG drivers in their speakers. Most seem to really like them.
Jim

Anyone else? jMy interest in these has grown stronger and I'm about ready to jump in the water but I'd still like to hear of any experiences anyone out there has with them. Neo 8 impressions welcome also.

From 1.5khz to 5khznot bad, then they go wonkers up from there. Probably sound very good in a certain range and are real efficient.
DC

I'm going to watch this thread, as all those drivers have intruiged the hell out of me, seems to be the best of the old infinity emim/emit, without any of the problems.

some day when I'm flush I'll probably buy a set of the open back tweets and mids, and build an infinity clone.

Sorry I can't offer any data.

Well jazzmans, I'm doing just that. I've got the drivers to build a modern Infinity Beta. I have the dipole Neo3, a single Neo8 for the midrange and 4 Neo10's per channel. I will build the panels to resemble the Infinity Beta and use much the same crossover frequencies with an all active system using a miniDSP to craft the crossovers points. For the woofers, I'm using the bass section of the Linkwitz LX-521 system I have. These have two 10" drivers in a dipole cabinet. Subs will be a pair of JBL 18" 2245h driver in 9cf vented cabinets designed by Greg Timbers.

Thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

Good tip. I’ll watch for that. The Betas EMIN cross over at 4500 but the Neo8, given its different dimensions, might have a different cutoff frequency.

Great find StimpyWan! Although they take a different design approach than I was trying to do to imitate the Infinity Beta, it appears to be a very thought out system. Their approach is to contain the back wave of all the drivers in a cabinet whereas my incarnation of the Beta will be dipole from top to bottom. Has anyone heard the GR speakers?

I've never heard Danny's GR Rearch speakers. But they get very positive feedback. The only Bohlender derived speaker that I have, is a Martin Logan Fresco center speaker. It sounds very nice, using Neo 3s and Neo 8s, but it's a little boxy in the lower mids. I think it would be better as a dipole too. Though, that's not very practical for a center speaker.

Great find StimpyWan! Although they take a different design approach than I was trying to do to imitate the Infinity Beta, it appears to be a very thought out system. Their approach is to contain the back wave of all the drivers in a cabinet whereas my incarnation of the Beta will be dipole from top to bottom. Has anyone heard the GR speakers?

Well, I never noticed that these speakers weren't open baffel, dipole designs! Especially, with it's cutaway cabinet. Though the speakers are probably nice, it seems a compromise to me, as I'd much rather use the Bohlender drivers in an OB arrangement, due to their push-pull nature. What a shame.

yeah, except they sealed the rear wave according to others here, IMO making a dipole NOT a dipole adds a whole bunch of problems, mostly resonent nodes that cause distortion.

I'd love to see the same speaker be a total dipole, including the woofers.

I agree guys! To NOT operate these in Dipole mode seems like an odd design choice? Mine are Dipole Top to Bottom!

You might want to check out Giussani-Research for inspiration. They use Bohlender drivers in their Infinity 'style' speakers. They have a Delta 4 R10 speaker that could be nice to clone.

delta4R10.jpg

Those big ol' woofers seem to be crammed into a rather small enclosure. I can't imagine trying to clone this with drivers from PE. Such a project would be a great forray into open baffle.

I just finally got 2 now that they are back in stock and price jumped from last time around $200 to now nearly $400.
Haven't had time to evaluate and will do some experimenting. I want to try to x-over as low as possible and wondering on baffle design.

If it's anything like the B&G Neo 3 it's a winner. The 3's have a removable back cover that allows them to work well as open baffles.

P1010010 2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom