Has anyone heard this about tire rotation.

jimfet

Lunatic Member
I just went to get my yearly inspection from Firestone. I have been using this Firstone for almost 40 years, but now it is under a new owner. I'm having other things done, oil change etc........ The guy comes in and says he can't rotate my tires cause they are over 3 years old. They are tires I got from there and only have 30000 miles on them. They are 70000 mile tires, with plenty of thread. I also needed a tire monitor installed on one of my tires. He said he couldn't do that because they are not allowed to break down tires over 3 years old. I think he is FOS. Oh the tires were bought in 2013. The car dealership has been rotating them since then. Just thought I would try Firestone this year.
I asked him why buy a high mileage tire if it is only covered for 3 years, Plus when you buy the tires it's free rotation for the life of the tire. Which means your tire is now dead at 3 years. I went to the firestone site and there is no mention of this.

+1 on bullcrap, unless for whatever reason, it's company policy, and I'd want that in writing and go elsewhere for tires next time around.

One fairly recent development I've see is the recommendation that your better tread should always go on the back, regardless of whether your vehicle is front or rear drive. Theory is, the back end tends to be lighter and can always use the extra grip ...

Kinda bass ackwards compared to the way most of us were taught to do it. In my case, it'd be more a case of popping the baldies up front with perfectly good rubber on the back as I tend to burn out a lot ... ;-}

You wouldn't have anything to lose by calling their "Customer Retention" number:

YOUR SATISFACTION IS IMPORTANT TO US
At Firestone Complete Auto Care, our goal is customer satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the service you received or our nationwide limited warranty, please contact the Manager of the store you visited. You may also contact Customer Retention toll–free at 800–440–4167.

I have been told that an old tire can not be mounted due to dry rot, but it was a lot older than 3 years old.

Bull is right as they just want to suck one into new tires. You can be dam sure they'll resell your old ones as good used for a double profit! LOL!

Even after 12 years they can be fine if out of the sunlight as it does break down rubber so if you can keep the vehicle parked in the shade you are better off.

Last edited:
Meadow muffins!

Firestone had a bad rep many years ago. Not only their tires but their business practices. I confess I haven't heard much lately, but I have steered clear of them my whole tire-buying career because of that.

I swore Firestone off over 40 years ago. Needed my Toyota radio removed and an after market tape deck installed, I was told “we don’t work on Japanese crap.” Last dollar they ever got from me. Your tire rotation story is a load of crap. Unless they could show you some serious dry rot (which they should have done if they could not rotate your tires) .

I had an episode with Firestone during the '80s that kept me from darkening their door for ~25 years. I tried them again about 5 years ago and I'll never go back. I know it's possible that I encountered the only two sketchy employees they had during those three decades, but I was left with the impression that Firestone is crooked as shit.

I don't hear anyone here saying their local Firestone is a great place that they trust and depend on. Sure, any self selected group of respondents are usually biased toward the negative, but this is pretty lopsided. :idea:

Tell them you don't need them to rotate your tires.
Tell them to remove the tires, rotate the car 180º, then just put the tires back on.

Tell 'em you want fresh air in them too!

Back
Top Bottom