Has anyone seen a Sansui HF-R50 monoblock?

I have no data or anything on the HF-R50 ... so it's extremely rare. Unheard of, like that.

I have found:
1955/4 HF-R5K - no data
mid 50's HF-R5 - no data
1956/3 HF-R50(C) - no data

Also just checked Japan 'Biglobe' - nothing that I could find.

There is about 6+ of the early to mid 50's mono amps that there just isn't any information on at all. Maybe just a date, but's that's it.

Sorry, not much help. I dig into it again on a casual basis.

Thanks for trying Bluesky! I figured it was a shot in the dark but was hopeful someone might have some info. When I searched and could not find even a mention of this amp anywhere, I imagined this was a very rare amp indeed!

:lurk:

With the pricing not much less than the more powerful HF-V60 it had better have been one sweet sounding amp.... or maybe it wasn't and everyone just bought the V60 and L60 and that is why there are no R50 out there ? ;)

:lurk:

With the pricing not much less than the more powerful HF-V60 it had better have been one sweet sounding amp.... or maybe it wasn't and everyone just bought the V60 and L60 and that is why there are no R50 out there ? ;)

That was my assumption too. Makes sense anyway.

Maybe there was just 'something' not to everyone's liking about the R50, or maybe just a 'different' sound, and the V60 & L60 were the best.

Last edited:
R-50... only 6 watts??

That may be the reason.
yes, that's what I was looking at... half the power and almost the same price. I know some low Wattage amps can sound sweet but they usually have really solid iron still but if you look at the weight on the brochure the R50 is also much lighter weight than the V60.

I've had one of these for approx 30 years. Did not realize it was somewhat unusual or
rare in the US at least. Discovered this group when trying to find any info about it.
I'll be going through it this week and will post pics. The output tubes are a pair of
P-P 6AR5's.
Luckily Sansui attached a small schematic inside the case.
Steve

I've had one of these for approx 30 years. Did not realize it was somewhat unusual or
rare in the US at least. Discovered this group when trying to find any info about it.
I'll be going through it this week and will post pics. The output tubes are a pair of
P-P 6AR5's.
Steve

I came across an old Sansui catalog that mentions a tube monoblock HF-R50. There is no picture of one and a google search did not reveal anything. I was aware the HF-V60 and HF-L60 monoblocks but this one I've never heard about or seen. Anyone have pictures or info on this amp?

View attachment 1112066
Any chance you have a higher res version of that image?? I would like to translate what is written below HF-V60C and HF-V60K in the bottom table to properly understand the suffixes.

Here is what I got from Zarco:
EjTocmc.jpg

2y1rGQd.jpg

nfD7zWf.jpg

I have asked Zarco to confirm transformer model, dimensions etc. Schematic might be too faded it seems (although Zarco, unless it's completely gone, might be worth trying and I try to photoshop/enhance)

When I saw the low power output, I wondered if it was a triode amp - but no such luck, it's definitely pentode, as far as I can tell by looking at how the output tubes are wired.

Those CHERRY capacitors are certainly bad, by now. I've replaced them in lots of old Japanese equipment, they almost always go leaky.

Beautiful amplifier, I'd love to have a pair of those!

Maybe there was just 'something' not to everyone's liking about the R50, or maybe just a 'different' sound, and the V60 & L60 were the best.

It looks like they put more aesthetic thought into l60.
Nicest looking chokes and op transformer I've seen from that era.

index.php

P-P 6AR5's.
Steve

I've had one of these for approx 30 years. Did not realize it was somewhat unusual
P-P 6AR5's.
Steve
Wow! So there is at least one out there and you have first hand experience with it! Thanks Steve for becoming a member and sharing! I had written off the idea of ever even getting to see a picture of one! Having owned it for 30 years, Im curious of your impressions of it and the mono setup you had while listening to it if you don't mind sharing.

Any chance you have a higher res version of that image?? I would like to translate what is written below HF-V60C and HF-V60K in the bottom table to properly understand the suffixes.
Unfortunately that brochure is up in NY and I am in Florida until the end of next month. As soon as I return, I will scan a copy which should provide better resolution.

Back
Top Bottom