Has anyone tried a CD treatment for better sound?

Haven't tried that product but a simple and cheap tweak is to simply clean your CD's (and DVD's) before playing.

Get a new CD and gently breath on the playing surface.

Usually there's a rainbow of gunk on the surface, akin to the mold release on vinyl LP's (not surprising as CD's are made in a very similar fashion to LP's).

Just removing this stuff ( I use my Nitty Gritty Hybrid CD/LP cleaning machine) often results in better sound with similar results to the AQ stuff.

"Has anyone tried a CD treatment for better sound? "

Sure have! I use them for drink coasters and they make the glass sound much better when it hits the table.

:lmao:

Ok ok...jes teasin... :bigok:

I've tried various treatments, tweeks

On CDs over the years, going back to the unfortunate Armour-all incedent. I tried the one from Audience-got it free, and was worth every penny. I don't don't do any treatments any more. There are several things I've learned from trying treatments:
1) They tend to be a pain in the butt to use.
2) They do *change* the sound.
3) The change is NOT always for the better.
4) The change is rarely predictable
and last and most importantly
5) NEVER DO A TWEAK OR TREATMENT THAT YOU CANNOT UNDO!!!

Going back to the Armour-All fiasco, it worked, but clouded in time-I had already treated a hundred discs or so by then-I had to rub it off all of them-I was not amused.
With the Audience Auric-Illuminatior, I found that roughly 1/2 the time it improved the sound, the other 1/2 sounded worse-much worse. That comes off with soap and water. I pitched it. The only tweak I like now, is the old Navcom rings that fit on the edge of the disc by Sims/Sumiko, but they stopped making them years ago.
enjoy,
Jack

Originally posted by DanTana
I can see this "stuff" come off and get on the lens and thus you won't hear anything.

No, its more like a polish. It won't come off that easily-in fact, it may not come off at all. That's the problem.

Well, after reading everyones experience with these treatments I've conclude that its just more "snake oil" for the masses. I guess I'll have to turn my treble down a few notchs insted.:rolleyes:

Re: I've tried various treatments, tweeks

Originally posted by Jack G
There are several things I've learned from trying treatments:

1) They tend to be a pain in the butt to use.

2) They do *change* the sound.

3) The change is NOT always for the better.

4) The change is rarely predictable

and last and most importantly

5) NEVER DO A TWEAK OR TREATMENT THAT YOU CANNOT UNDO!!!

You've hit the nail on the head, Jack, regarding CD treatments! And I should know - every other week, it seems, some company is sending me their new CD treatment to try out, hoping that I will decide to carry it in my little shop. Thus far, I've jumped on only one such product, and even though it is consistently effective, it is still a pain in the butt to use...

Back
Top Bottom