has anyone tried elevating Cornwall's?

bolero

I am new to these speakers.

I like them a lot; however I find leaving them on the floor and with myself standing, the highs are emphasized

If I sit on the floor, the sound seems more balanced

I am considering stacking them on some large stand, so they are about as far off the ground as the top of the speaker is normally

Has anyone experimented with elevating these?

I would love to stack 4 of them, 2 pairs per side, and hear how that sounds?

I am doing that with JBL 4313 & L26 and it works well...

thanks!

You might try tilted risers first. Crites has some available but to get started you could just slip a 2X4 under the front edge and see if that helps balance out the sound.

if you centre the mid horn at your seated ear level which is typically 38 - 41 inches up off the floor (depending upon your height and furniture) you will find that stage image and space all lock into place. you noticed this when you sat on the floor. This works for any loudspeaker.

CoyteeCornwall's 196484 said:
Perhaps a dumb question....but rather than adding/mixing speakers, why not just get some larger more capable speakers?

Well cornwalls are pretty big! Each cab is about the size of a Marshall 4x12

Having 4 cornwalls is about the size of 2 full Marshall stacks

So it would be decadent lunacy :) I was sorta joking. The Cornwall's arecertainly capable enough

Well cornwalls are pretty big! Each cab is about the size of a Marshall 4x12

Having 4 cornwalls is about the size of 2 full Marshall stacks

So it would be decadent lunacy :) I was sorta joking. The Cornwall's arecertainly capable enough

I do know what size CW are (35.75" (90.8cm) x 25.25" (64.1cm) x 15.5" (39.4cm). Here is a picture of my H3 up on Skylan four post stands (22" tall factory riser removed). My Forte and Forte ll are also on Skylan four post stands approx 14 inches tall as are my Quartet they are all very stable look excellent and sound as good. I don't have a picture of my Forte ll but will include a pic of the Harbeth M40 on Skylan four post stands, the M40 is about the same size as a Forte ll. The Forte and the CW are essentially the same height so the stands will be similar in height. It is a lot cheaper to sit on the floor. Best regards Moray James.

Attachments

• Klipsch Heresy Skylan.jpg
    Klipsch Heresy Skylan.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Skylan with M40.jpg
    Skylan with M40.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 102
Well if you raise a Corn wall your bass performance will suffer, becoming leaner. You'd have to move them closer to corners to make up the difference. I inverted a Cornwall and placed it on top of its mate for a classical concert featuring Guitar soloist at a concert one time when commercial speakers were just ugly. The speakers were standing on a stage in front of curtains so the bass was a little shy but the reproduced Guitar was great and a MC 240 was all that was needed. Didn't need tone controls or equalizers the sound was great using an Altec M-30 mic and an Ampex MX-35 mixer. That said stacking the Cornwalls will decrease the vertical dispersion making the difference between standing and sitting even more prominent. Your only choices are Mac's or others line arrays. Sitting or standing they sound the same. They won't have the dynamic range of a Cornwall unless you have deep pockets and big power.

at 40 Hz a lift of 14 inches up off of the floor is not much effect on bass as the wavelength is so long and the lift is a tiny fraction of that, you will tidy up the bass and minimize floor reflection which is most of what parking a woofer close to the floor results in and that holds true for vent output as well. So while you may lose a little bass weight by lifting the speaker up the bass will be cleaner and more articulate. Or if you like the bass the way it is then leave them where they are. This really is not worth the time for a big discussion it is so simple to try and if you like it raised then do so any way that works for you and if you don't like them raised well you don't, no real right or wrong just here simply adjusting to suit your personal taste. Best regards Moray James

I do know what size CW are (35.75" (90.8cm) x 25.25" (64.1cm) x 15.5" (39.4cm). Here is a picture of my H3 up on Skylan four post stands (22" tall factory riser removed).

thanks Moray...I was replying there to Coyote, who suggested getting "larger & more capable speakers"

It *is* a simple question...However rather than being chastised, I was looking for anyone else who had tried this

comments like

"why don't just sit"

"This really is not worth the time for a big discussion it is so simple to try and if you like it raised then do so any way that works for you and if you don't like them raised well you don't,"

are not particularly helpful.

Of course I can sit....or I can stack them on top of cinder blocks....or build a nice elaborate speaker stand....or try another pair of speakers. Or I can watch TV instead!!

But I was wondering about other people's experiences with raising them

this is what the forum exists for....

Thanks for the helpful input. ( Moray, even though I quoted you there, you provided some great info too!! thanks )

My apologies if my comment came across as chastising.... Honestly, it was a simple question. Viewed from my lens, (I've always had a large speaker) I have never understood stacking speakers like some folks talk about doing.

My logic is, if you have the space to double stack them.... you have the space for a bigger speaker so why not simply do it? You start to introduce other issues when you start mixing drivers playing the same source.

(I'm well aware of how large a Cornwall is, I own two LaScalas as well as some others, including up to five (5) double height MWM bass bins)

Again, if my comment hit you as rude, it was not intended that way so, my apologies.

Attachments

• Stack2.jpg
    Stack2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 75
  • Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 71
Hey no problem, I wasn't implying you were...it appeared you thought they were bookshelf speakers, as I can't think of many home speakers larger than these

Did you have those horns & bass bins installed in your house??

reminds me of Pink Floyd at Pompeii

Anyway not a big deal, I am not really out of joint

thx again for all the replies

thanks Moray...I was replying there to Coyote, who suggested getting "larger & more capable speakers"

It *is* a simple question...However rather than being chastised, I was looking for anyone else who had tried this

comments like

"why don't just sit"

"This really is not worth the time for a big discussion it is so simple to try and if you like it raised then do so any way that works for you and if you don't like them raised well you don't,"

are not particularly helpful.

Of course I can sit....or I can stack them on top of cinder blocks....or build a nice elaborate speaker stand....or try another pair of speakers. Or I can watch TV instead!!

But I was wondering about other people's experiences with raising them

this is what the forum exists for....

Thanks for the helpful input. ( Moray, even though I quoted you there, you provided some great info too!! thanks )

I think that past asking what can I expect kind of questions you very quickly slide into asking for personal preferences. Not that peoples personal preferences might or might not be of interest they just don't really help you very much. You do need to try things to see what you think because that is the only opinion that really matters to you. When it is as simple as stacking (provided you have a spare pair) or jacking a speaker up on a couple of stools or boxes when it is that easy to find out for yourself I really cannot see the need to take the time to ask at all. It becomes a Nike moment "just do it". Some folks have an armchair on line audio hobby that consists of bickering and arguing and nonstop discussions at the end of which nobody is really much the better off for having spent their time. I am not pointing fingers or accusing here simply saying that going direct and finding out for yourself as soon as you can is very rewarding no matter what the results.
I just noticed the suggestion for tilting speakers and yes that can provide an indication of what raising a speaker will do however it also screws up the stage and image because you brain does not naturally expect to hear music from above or below. When there are exceptions they are usually as a result of speakers with tilted polar response but for the most part square on and at the right height works best. That however is only my opinion so please fees free to disagree. Best regards Moray James.

Did you have those horns & bass bins installed in your house??

The big bass bins (of which I have five sets of them), four are at brother in laws for storage. The two you see in the above picture are soaking up garage space. The LaScalas are buried in my rear wall for surround duty and the top horn is sitting on top of the Jubilee bass bin. So, most of them are in the house.

Pictures were taking during construction. Interestingly, I don't think I have a finished (room) picture.

Side note, my wife did all the finish and trim work you see around the LaScalas. It was done during a time I had a health hiccup and I was unable to do much for a while. She did a nice job!!

Grills 1.jpg P5.jpg p7.jpg

wow that looks great!!

good idea hiding them in the wall, frees up a lot of room. And that is a serious setup in the bottom photo!!

Yes indeed, I was looking for personal preferences. I hope I am not sounding argumentive. Thanks again!

Ha!

Well the Cornwall's are under four JBL's I am using in my B system, so it is a bit of a task to restack them all. When I need a workout I'll rearrange the pile & try it out

I didn't hear much difference when I placed the Cornwall's in the corner; actually prefer them straight-on and pulled in a bit.

I have a ton of crap all over the room though... my next audio foray is room treatment. Ordering that "get better sound book"

Cheers!

Is there any reference material on the issue of putting a box in a bigger box? For all the effort, expense, and time invested, is the space-saving going to cost much in fidelity or imaging?

If directed towards me and the buried LaScalas.... it was really more a function of WAF to get her to go along with having them in the room at all. Since they will do rear channel duty, I don't personally expect it to be as critical. If it is....well.....I'll have to live with it!

Better to live with the system a bit compromised than stuck in storage!!

Back
Top Bottom