Has anyone used the 6AR6 tube?

kward

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looks like a pair of 6AR6s need a similar load as 6L6s in PP class AB1 mode. Heater current and pinout are different of course. I notice the grid curves have a shallow knee more like an EL34 than a 6L6. Looks like it is a beam pentode though. Also the plate curves don't look as linear as a 6L6.

Has anyone used this tube for hifi audio applications or perhaps guitar applications?

Just curious, but not looking to build with this tube anytime soon.

Last edited:
Doesn't look especially linear as a triode, either -- unless it's just a poor drawing in the data sheet (look at the spacing of the -30V line).

Another sweep tube?

My main amp is PP 6AR6's. I've used it for over 5 years. Had it wired for triode operation for years using a CCS in the common cathode for a differential output stage. It limits the output to class A but sounds great. Changed the triode wiring to pentode with plate to grid feedback about a year ago. Didn't really change the sound much or the perceived output power and I haven't measured the power. The only amp that I've built that exeeds it for SQ is a PP 6B4G amp and the difference is small.
John

Looks like a pair of 6AR6s need a similar load as 6L6s in PP class AB1 mode. Heater current and pinout are different of course. I notice the grid curves have a shallow knee more like an EL34 than a 6L6. Looks like it is a beam pentode though. Also the plate curves don't look as linear as a 6L6.

Has anyone used this tube for hifi audio applications or perhaps guitar applications?

Just curious, but not looking to build with this tube anytime soon.
I tried them with an adapter in a SE 6l6 amp. They sounded ok but the adapter imparted a sonic thumbprint. I think it is hard to beat early 6l6g, and even metal 6l6 for good sound for medium power beam pentodes.
I also tried the 6384 which is the aerospace version of the 6ar6, by Bendix. That tube is the mad scientist version of the power tube and is designed to operate in guided missles.

Last edited:
Well maybe I will try them in a PP class A design. Nerdorama, your amp sounds quite interesting.

I have a schematic. It is all transformer coupled but doesn't have to be. I think it sounds better this way.

Nerdorama, do you mind sharing your schematic? Either PM me or post publicly?

It's nothing very out of the ordinary for these days. I've never optimised any operating points or scoped it for a power rating. I've only ever had it on the scope to be certain that it passed a clean looking sine. This schematic still shows the triode connection but the "schade" feedback is just as Schade shows it in his famous document on page 360, also attached.
6AR6 DIY amp IT coupling 6n6p input xfmrs.jpg Schade PP wiring.jpg

Back
Top Bottom