Has anyone used this ST-35 chassis?

Lavane

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
st-35-improved-chassis-base-6.gif At some point I'm going to build a ST-35 with D.G.'s boards. I found this chassis from Triode USA. has anyone used it? I like the idea of more room on and in the chassis.

Looks bigger than normal. Ever see an actual ST-35? They're tiny. Magnavox console amps are larger. Adding some space wouldn't be a bad thing.

Looks bigger than normal. Ever see an actual ST-35? They're tiny. Magnavox console amps are larger. Adding some space wouldn't be a bad thing.
Its the size of a ST-70. I was thinking the same thing about the extra room.

Yeah, the original Dynaco st35 chassis was just big enough to accommodate all the parts. Talk about cost cutting! But, it may be part of the reason why it sounds so good. I always thought that the sound from amps that were very compact or tightly put together were a little more dynamic. On the other hand they might tend to be noisier if you are not careful with placement of the transformers and layout.

I agree this would be a nice chassis, but there is something about the compact look of the ST35 chassis that I like. Small is beautiful in the apartments of the future.

But ... I've never seen one in real life. The ST70 is pretty compact in its own right though.

Yes, plus I have thought that the appeal of the original Stereo 35 "look" is its classic quality and its rarity.
It would be a new build using D.G's boards with new iron, no rarity there. If I had an original I wouldnt change the chassis.

I looked for this chassis from Triode:
https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/triodeel_2268_102996976
But it is now marked as “sold out”. I wrote to Triode and they directed me to:
http://www.triodestore.com/diytubest35chassis.html

The problem is I want to build a new ST-35 with Dave Gillespie EFB and PC10A boards and this chassis forces the tube positions to be the Triode board.
Does anyone know of an alternate source for the ST-70 sized chassis that is punched for the original ST-35 board layout?
All comments are welcome and appreciated
Thanks,
Jim

I can't find the link I had saved for Daves boards. If Daves tube boards will fit the original chassis, and Triode tube boards should fit also, why wouldn't Daves boards fit this chassis? The board should fit the hole, no? I can see where mounting DG's power supply board might take drilling new holes, maybe. It looks like the power supply board would be mounted from front to back instead of along the front like the original, not a deal killer for me.

Back
Top Bottom