Haunting Rock Songs

I always considered Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" haunting...especially the instrumental at the end.

You could drop a good portion of Richard Thompson's catalog into this thread:
The End Of The Rainbow
The Great Valerio
Speechless Child
Bad News Is All The Wind Can Carry
Painted Ladies
Calvary Cross
Love In A Faithless Country
Ghosts In The Wind
Killing Jar
Sidney Wells
etc... Mystic & Blind Boy Grant, among others, know what I am talking about

Funny how he can write such morose material & be such a pleasant fellow.

Blue Oyster Cult , The Revenge Of Vera Gemini .

BOC has a lot of dark, haunting and creepy chord progressions throughout their catalog. But it's usually accompanied with darkly humorous, witty, tongue in cheek lyrical content so it comes off as kind of campy (to brilliant effect, I might add) so you can't really take the spookiness very seriously. You know? I'll have to go revisit Vera Gemini. LOVE me some (early) BOC.

- Michael

I think one classic album by the Alan Parson Project might fit this genre to a T...that being "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" (1976).

The whole album is based on some of the works of Edgar Alan Poe. It's a well composed LP that highlights some of the better known short stories such as the "Tell Tale Heart", "The Raven" etc.

For most of the cuts, they do to a large degree capture the basis of what Poe was trying to portray in his delving in the supernatural and all the horror that went with it.

There is the one song however, that is on the light side, "Dr. Tarr and Professor Feather" that ends up being a parody and well put together for a comic intent.

This album is best enjoyed after you have read the original story.

Q

Last edited:
Hey
Funny that this thread popped up just now. Yesterday I got my cd of the soundtrack of "full metal jacket ". The last half of the cd is that eerie sounds from Pyles decent into madness then on into the the battle for the city/ female sniper.
Creepy to say the least. Eric

Back
Top Bottom