Have a question for the Utz chips fans

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently bought a bag of crab seasoning Utz at my local, just because I like seafood. I've seen Utz brand on The Wire back in the day so I assume they're an east coast product. Well the crab seasoning chips were way too salty for me, but I noticed my local has other Utz offerings. Are all Utz overly salty? I enjoyed the crunch and thinness of their chip after my initial try.

It's an east coast thing, Joe. Maybe even only a Maryland thing. Never thought that seasoning made a whole lot of sense unless it was on some Chesapeake Bay steamers...but whenever friends come out they bring me a bag. Surprised you could even buy them here.

Regular Utz's taste (to me) pretty much like most other chips.

It's a Hanover PA thing. Pretzel and chip capital of the world for some reason. Utz's products are generally very good. Several varieties of pretzels are tops in the market. They have grown like crazy and are available more and more locations.

It's an east coast thing, Joe. Maybe even only a Maryland thing. Never thought that seasoning made a whole lot of sense unless it was on some Chesapeake Bay steamers...but whenever friends come out they bring me a bag. Surprised you could even buy them here.

Regular Utz's taste (to me) pretty much like most other chips.

King Soopers believe it or not. They have like 4 different Utz chips and pretzels.

D44F9DB5-C64B-4390-842C-3DF93CADBCC1.jpeg Utz has a flaming hot flavored chip that I think is the best of its kind. I grab em when I see em but don’t go out of my way to find them.

First, Utz is an East Coast thing. They don't exist here in Texas. I wish they did.I love 'em. Neither does Wise where we are.

Next, I find it odd the crab chips were salty because I buy their "plain jane" chips because I find them less salty than the competition. But, to be fair, I've never tried them.

FWIW, here in Texas I've learned to live with Lay's and I've solved that pesky "moderation" problem by buying them in 1 ounce bags, and I get 'em at Sam's Club in a 50 count box for < $13. They go great with a gin and tonic, but that's another thread. ;)

On a more positive note Texas had Blue Bell ice cream. The east coast doesn't.

Last edited:
Utz Potato Stixs are very popular with Warren Buffett. He eats them regularly and actually tried to buy out the company, but the owners wouldn’t sell.

UTZ are pretty good but I do not like the crab chips, the salt and pepper ones are nice. BTW they just came out with some unique flavors, I tired the Italian hoagie which tasted NOTHING like a hoagie but was pretty good and a creamy buffalo which was just bad.

I don't think the normal Utz chips are too salty. Actually I think they are light on the salt compared to Lays. But seriously, it's a bag of chips. Get one and try it. Its not like you are out huge $$ if you don't like them.

Personally Grandma Utz are my favorite. Fried in lard like god intended! :biggrin:

It's a Hanover PA thing. Pretzel and chip capital of the world for some reason. Utz's products are generally very good. Several varieties of pretzels are tops in the market. They have grown like crazy and are available more and more locations.

Yep, Utz and PA are hand-in-glove. Loved 'em as a kid; we'd pick 'em up twice annually, once @ the "winter drive" to Westchester, NY (maternal grandparents) and once @ the "summer drive" to The Cape (Provincetown) to the grandparents' summer home. We also like Charles Chips, though i was more fond of Charles Chips pretzels than their chips, for which I preferred Utz.

Salty? Who can remember? **** man, everything was (seemingly) over-salted in the Sixties.

Utz chips are very good as are their hard sour dough pretzels. The true Utz chip experience is when purchased in the large gold can, and enjoyed while eating home made ice cream as we did every Sunday night as a kids.
Regards,
Jim

Not a fan of flavored chips in general. But do like the Utz Ripple Chips and regular, though not sure about salty. Not half as salty as Lays or Wise to my taste.

Am I incorrect in believing Utz was the first commercial Chip maker/seller?

Am I incorrect in believing Utz was the first commercial Chip maker/seller?

It doesn't answer you question directly, but a quick search shows that Lays was the first national brand. I prefer Utz over Lays any day. My favorite brand is Wachusett, a local company that has been since "acquired" by Utz.

-Dave

Last edited:
Hah! IPADave, my favorite are/were Tri-Sum, which sadly was sold by the last generation of the family to Wachusett :p I think it's a Leominster/Fitchburg thing, sorta like the high school football rivalry...you got our chips, but...:)

Hah! IPADave, my favorite are/were Tri-Sum, which sadly was sold by the last generation of the family to Wachusett :p I think it's a Leominster/Fitchburg thing, sorta like the high school football rivalry...you got our chips, but...:)

I used to love Tri-Sum chips. They had a different flavor, and texture than other chips. My girl friend is from Leominster. :)

-Dave

Anyone else miss the O'Grady's Loaded Baked Potato (thick rippled) chips from the 80's? Shit I could start an entire thread of stuff from the 70-80's that I miss.

Back
Top Bottom