Have I arrived?

damacman

Resident Psycho
I listen. I enjoy. I no longer think - you know, I think I could improve my XXX. I had thoughts of upgrading my tt to a Prime / Prime Signature and playing with a high end LOMC, but my lowly Technics / DV10x5 just sounds so damn good it doesn't leave me wanting. About the only thing I can think to do at this point would be to have my Nak refurbished by one of the experts. But then, I rarely use it.

Heck, I'm not even buying much media at this point save a few Blurays and a few deals I've scored from BT - simply enjoying what I own. My last two trips to the record store have been frustrating - I walk around and can't find anything.

Sounds like you have undiagnosed depression. Time for that VPI and a Ortofon Cadenza Black.

Just kidding! Congratulations. You're at the point where I want to be. Although I don't ever see myself not buying music, I would love to get to the point where I am completely content, and not obsessing over other equipment. I'm getting there, but still have a little way to go.

simply enjoying what I own.
Me too, if I do buy something it's because it fell in my lap and the price was right.

My last two trips to the record store have been frustrating - I walk around and can't find anything.
Same here, I have so many records most the time if I buy something I already have 5 or more copies at home. It's more like I'm buying for others to pass them onto.

Just sell it all off and pretend you are starting all over again with a C-24 and a MC-250. I have this nice set ready to go. Then you will be happy again :) A brand new beginning.

Nothing more than a trip to RMAF in October won’t cure. If not that there are always DACs and cables to try. See if you can get a digital system that match’s your analog to get you out of the record store.

My digital rig leaves nothing to desire sir ... my ancient CDP still amazes me with its smooth, effortless sound that can rival my best LPs. The UDP-205 offers benchmark performance with hi-rez discs and formats, including MQA.

Last night, we watched The Matrix in 4K with a newly mixed Atmos soundtrack - just wow. Atmos is so immersive, you don’t even have to play it that loud to enjoy.

So - I intend to enjoy. I know others here, like MG for example, feel much the same way about their setups.

UDP-205 Way more versatility than I realized. Did not know those Oppo’s were such a Swiss army knife. It appears you can hook up a PC network and do streaming too or not? Do they have SPDIF and Toslink inputs too for DAC. It is always fun to compare DACs. Only speakers give greater sound changes.

How is it for two channel CDs? Sounds like you enjoy your early CD player for that. Seems they can be had for half the price since production stopped by Oppo.

I am enjoying my HT after adding in LBS and and RBS speakers. Wondering how much football games will improve. Can see going ATMOS until a MX160 deal, I can’t pass up happens for me

Last edited:
UDP-205 Way more versatility than I realized. Did not know those Oppo’s were such a Swiss army knife. It appears you can hook up a PC network and do streaming too or not? Do they have SPDIF and Toslink inputs too for DAC. It is always fun to compare DACs. Only speakers give greater sound changes.

How is it for two channel CDs? Sounds like you enjoy your early CD player for that. Seems they can be had for half the price since production stopped by Oppo.

I am enjoying my HT after adding in LBS and and RBS speakers. Wondering how much football games will improve. Can see going ATMOS until a MX160 deal, I can’t pass up happens for me
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/oppo-udp-205-xlr-polarity.830306/

Sounds like your system is all it needs to be and now you can relax. :banana:
My situation is a lot different, even when I had an old receiver I never felt the need to upgrade. Of course I did but it's not because I wasn't satisfied. It's the search for new sounds that drives the hobby.

Lot's of ways to find new music these days. I enter the music I currently know/have into YouTube and see what suggestions it comes up with. If I like what I hear, I head on over to Bandcamp to get the flac files. And if I really like what I hear I'll see if it's been released on vinyl.

I too am done with buying any more equipment (also made a promise to my wife!). Just been tweaking with various tubes, mods for the turntable, and learning how to properly setup a turntable/cart.

Yeah I'd say you've arrived. Sure it's always fun to find a tweak or an addition that would make a noticeable improvement somewhere, but yeah, you're fine. I'm somewhat similar in that I don't hanker (much) for something new or a swapped component. Sometimes I think I might enjoy a new flavour of speaker but I just can't be bothered to take the trouble.

These days I simply sit and enjoy my main system without thinking of upgrades for the most part. I have this nagging compulsion to upgrade to an MC205 for my center and rear channels, though. :D

I add to my digital music library from time to time with ripped CD's and the occasional hi-rez download.

My garage/shop system is getting an upgrade, though. My old Yamaha CR series receiver died recently and I will probably sell it to someone who wants to fiddle with it. The system now consists of a Yamaha mini-system with digital capability. I have a 64 GB USB stick full of FLAC files plugged into it right now. I just got a Chromecast Audio gadget and have an old iPad sitting on a shelf in the office. I am going to use them with JRiver and some UpNp software to set up a wireless streaming connection and see how that goes.

But, yeah...I have almost arrived.

I listen. I enjoy. I no longer think - you know, I think I could improve my XXX. I had thoughts of upgrading my tt to a Prime / Prime Signature and playing with a high end LOMC, but my lowly Technics / DV10x5 just sounds so damn good it doesn't leave me wanting. About the only thing I can think to do at this point would be to have my Nak refurbished by one of the experts. But then, I rarely use it.

Heck, I'm not even buying much media at this point save a few Blurays and a few deals I've scored from BT - simply enjoying what I own. My last two trips to the record store have been frustrating - I walk around and can't find anything.

I tend to read most of your stuff (posts).
It didn't seem to me you were wanting (perhaps more clearly, you seemed set):D

I hope that comes across as a compliment (as it was intended).
This hobby has been described as a journey.
Based on your experiences, I figured you got there a while ago:dunno:

Heck I'm nowhere as far down the path I think I'm pretty much there.
Sometimes I like to make a day trip though:beerchug:

I have a 10 X5 and a 20x 2 and I much prefer the 20 X 2. I use mine with a linear tone arm which really helps with inner groove distortion. Both have firm bass and nice lower midrange. But I prefer the sound above 500 hz with the 20 X 2. It does a spectacular job above 4000 HZ. The top two octaves are smooth and well balanced . Separation is superb yielding a wide sound stage with plenty of depth. Some folks might think some of the harmonics and overtones of percussion are diminished, but I find them well balanced and life like with the 20X2. HO. I know there is a difference between your 1300 and a Signature Prime, but the question you have to ask is whether the LP format is worth the additional investment. You might consider a new Technics SL 1200 G Id wow and flutter and rumble will easily out perform a Prime. Now a VPI Tone arm is still a big un-answered question for me.

I have a 10 X5 and a 20x 2 and I much prefer the 20 X 2. I use mine with a linear tone arm which really helps with inner groove distortion. Both have firm bass and nice lower midrange. But I prefer the sound above 500 hz with the 20 X 2. It does a spectacular job above 4000 HZ. The top two octaves are smooth and well balanced . Separation is superb yielding a wide sound stage with plenty of depth. Some folks might think some of the harmonics and overtones of percussion are diminished, but I find them well balanced and life like with the 20X2. HO. I know there is a difference between your 1300 and a Signature Prime, but the question you have to ask is whether the LP format is worth the additional investment. You might consider a new Technics SL 1200 G Id wow and flutter and rumble will easily out perform a Prime. Now a VPI Tone arm is still a big un-answered question for me.
I almost bought an Ortofon Cadenza Black a bit ago. I talked to Ortofon at length about the SUT in the C200 (their design) and the Cadenza Black, Windfield, or A95 would all be a great match. And then I sat down to decide what exactly about the DV10x5 that I felt could improve. Results? I spent hours and hours listening to music for several days and not thinking one bit about the cartridge. So, I had my answer - keep it. But, I do have an upgrade path down the road shall I want to explore it.

The thing that turns me off about the VPI tables is that they're all so steenkin' big. My SL1300 Mk2 is a near perfect example and I fixed the cuing issue in the '90s. I close the lid, press start and that's it. If I fall asleep, I wake up with the tonearm returned to it's rest. Honestly, I think I'd really miss having an automatic. I've heard some really exotic vinyl rigs in dealer showrooms that I didn't feel sounded as good as mine. It just works.

My original goal was to graduate to a dual chassis McIntosh preamp, all of which are fully balanced (yes, there is a difference - at least to my ears). Then, add the best sources I could afford in an effort that I can do the media justice. About the only thing I can't do is stream files from my hard drive (I've been ripping discs since the '90s) but that doesn't really bother me. I am anxious to listen to some MQA so I can see what all the fuss is about, but I'm not a music service subscriber (no thanks) so that leaves me with only a single CD that I can find that I have zero interest in.

but the question you have to ask is whether the LP format is worth the additional investment.
It is. Especially since I invested in an ultra-sonic cleaner for the vinyl lp's. There are instructions on the VPI forum to purchase a regular ultra-sonic cleaner from the auction site and add an attachment for cleaning records. Works great. A well pressed piece of vinyl can sound very quiet.

I'm very glad I upgraded my vinyl rig. All found on the used or open box market.

Back
Top Bottom