Have I Made A Mistake, Or Is This Going To Work Out OK?

savatage1973

Addicted Member
Arriving today (supposed to anyways), is a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. It is for use in a secondary system, so not so much for critical listening. I have an upgraded Grant Fidelity TubeDAC 11 in my mains system.

In the secondary system, I am currently using a Firestone Audio Fubar II DAC with upgraded "The Supplier" power supply, but it only supports USB input. It works just fine (for several years now), and has "rollable" op-amp chips, so it is rather flexible for a budget DAC. However, I am at the point of where I wanted other input options.

Yes--I have done my research, chased the threads, and narrowed the field to a few options, but I don't feel that this system/application is worthy of dropping $1K+ into a DAC for it. I basically narrowed it down to one of the Schitt products or one of the Cambridge Audio products.

Both seem to be fairly well-reviewed (here and elsewhere) for their price points. However, Schitt seems to be having supply issues (lots of stuff on backorder for at least a couple weeks), and threads keep popping up regarding product failures "just out of warranty" and piss-poor customer support--can't verify, just going on what I've read--and we all know what that's worth.

So I opted for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100--it's only $199 shipped, so no huge investment, and Crutchfield has very generous return policies IME--no affiliation/promotion.

So will I be happy, or will I be printing out a return shipping label?

:lurk:
I will be interested to see what you think of the Cambridge.
I've been looking at one myself and like you have done some reading and from what i can gather for the price it is a good bit of kit.
Cambridge are now owned by the independent audio group who also own mission. Audiolab. Quad. To name only a few so the guy's should know what they are doing.

UPS did a bang up job on delivery--it's here already! And by "bang up job", I mean that in a good way, not the usual "banged up job" that happens all too often. Letting everything warm up a bit (temperature-wise)--baby, it's cold outside (about 20 F), so I'll set it up in a couple hours. Looking forward to hearing whether I did OK, or need to be printing a return label. I'll post later, after I have a chance to listen.

Initial assessment is good. The sound from a USB source is as good (if not better) than the USB DAC I was using. Using the DacMagic 100 via SPDIF output from a Sony CD/DVD player is far better than the on-board DAC--much crisper and cleaner in the highs and mids. Some may find it a bit bright, but it has only been powered up for a couple hours, and I have not "tweaked" the L-pad adjustments on the speakers.

As I mentioned before, this is a secondary system involving a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver, Sony DVP-NS575P (cheap) CD/DVD player, USB input (from a laptop), heavily modified Grant Fidelity B-283 tube buffer w/JAN Philips mil-spec tubes, Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, Dual CS5000 TT w/AT 440 MLb cart and JBL L100 speakers--set up mainly for classic rock/alt/punk/progressive listening in a multi-purpose room.

Other than the wall-wart power supply seeming a little on the "cheap" side (but it is quiet), everything seems to be worth the $199--so far. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Schiit makes stuff in their own factory and keeps little inventory on hand, so things are almost always backordered. I love my modi multibit, that’s all I own from them. Enjoy the Cambridge!

Schiit makes stuff in their own factory and keeps little inventory on hand, so things are almost always backordered. I love my modi multibit, that’s all I own from them.

I understand the business model and its effect on overhead--especially the way technology is advancing in the areas of their main product lines--you don't want to get stuck with a warehouse full of last year's "big hit", which is now impossible to move.

Maybe it is just me, but I have "issues" with ordering anything "pre-release" or "on backorder". At least Schitt is courteous enough to tell you up-front that an item is on backorder with a projected date of order fulfillment, but I have been "burned" too many times by others in the past. You pay your money and then get the e-mail three days later telling you that a release date has been delayed, or an item is out-of-stock or backordered--but you already took my money? Weeks turn into months, communication breaks down, company files bankruptcy/locks their doors, product is no longer available, etc., etc. etc.

Actually, the Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost were on my short list--more so the Modi 2 Uber, because I doubt I will ever need the hi-rez capability of the Bifrost, and the price differential is rather significant for something I may never need/want. But the Modi 2 Uber had a projected fulfillment date "the week of March 22nd"--which could push the delivery date to close to April 1st (or later). If they had one on the shelf ready to ship NOW, I'd have probably gone with it. But again, that is just me--I am "that guy" that will pay $10 more to go get something today, than wait a couple weeks to save the $10.

Good luck with your Schitt--glad you are enjoying it!!! So far, so good with the Cambridge, and I hope it turns out to be a "keeper" (at least for this application). Currently looking into options for an upgraded power supply, but that is just my OCD stepping in.

Back
Top Bottom