Have you cleaned your laptop lately?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by sol7, Feb 7, 2018.

1. sol7

sol7 Super Member

So, when was the last time you cleaned your laptop? I'm not talking a wipe down. I'm talking under the hood cleaning. Ever wonder why your laptop seems to run hotter as it ages? I was tearing down a Dell laptop for parts and I don't know how this thing didn't have a meltdown...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd have to say very little air was getting through that. Also, the heatsink compound is all tried out.

So, get out your little screwdriver set and clean out that rats nest....

2. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Wow I never would have though that much crap could get in there_:yikes:

3. squirrelnest

squirrelnest Addicted Member

Whoa...that's a real mess....I can see that running hot!

4. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Many run hotter than they need to do. Mine got cleaned last week and repasted. I did mine. But I have a machine which is somewhat easier to work on than many, since I run business class laptops, which are built to be easier serviced.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

I go through mine once a year. Yeah, a lot of crud comes out of them especially if you have pets. I have a sweet little cat who loves music so she's often near me when the tunes are playing...right next to my laptop!

Here's Luci, my 15 year old watch cat:

[​IMG]

KentTeffeteller and DougRuss47 like this.
  6. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I just replaced the fan and regooped the cpu and video chip. I got tired of the constant rattle of the old fan. I've been using a blast of canned air to keep the vents cleared every 6 months.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  7. sol7

sol7 Super Member

I usually think about cleaning the internals, but then it slips my mind. I think I did my laptop a year ago, only because I was in it doing something else. After tearing down that Dell, it's making me think about being a little more diligent.

8. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

My laptop was just full of crackers and cheese. I should probably start wearing a bib when I eat ... :rolleyes:

It's not just laptops though - pretty much any electronics, especially anything equipped with fans. One advantage of the newer low watt CPUs is less fans and lower rpms equals less crud.

Quadman2 likes this.
  9. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Less then 6 months ago for me.Dell 5420 latitude ,pretty tuff machine .Has a 1 tb hybrid hard drive now with win 10.I might add that it has a larger battery in it that gives it a little raise in the back which helps with cooling.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    KentTeffeteller likes this.
  10. elcoholic

elcoholic AK Subscriber Subscriber

Couple months ago - 2009 MacBook Pro.

11. FONSguy

FONSguy Super Member

A user at work had horrid habits. She piled papers all around her mac laptop because she had an external screen. She also wore thick powdery makeup that would flake off onto the keyboard. THEN she complained that it was running hot. We opened it up and the fans were deep in make-up and so were the heat sinks. We blasted it with canned air and a small paint brush. We took pictures before and after and showed them to her.

12. sol7

sol7 Super Member

That's sick....

Snacks for later, eh?

13. FileFixer

FileFixer Active Member

I clean all of my three laptops once per year under hood. Cleaning electronic equipment is one of most important thing for durable life on electronics equipment. Laptop on what I write right now has be most powerful model and also too expensive in year 2006. and work today as first time. These days I have money to buy him but today I don have money to buy HP best model. I think that this laptop work because that I do this cleaning and for general maintenance. This is Core2Duo processor with QuadroFX graphic card inside. I do also same cleaning with my second and third laptops. Second i bought before five years also as HP powerful and best model, it have Core i7 and QuadroFX graphics card. Third is normal HP model when I nedd to do something fast but have same treatment as first two.

14. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

I don't have a laptop, but I do have a desktop; they need normal maintenance as well. I noticed last year that this computer was starting to sound like a race car. It would keep me awake at night sometimes. I didn't honestly associate it with needing to be cleaned until I asked here on AK. Took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and no problem since. I need to do it again soon with the dusty environment I live in.

15. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Dell Latitudes are tough machines. They put up with spastic me, and muscles with no off switch and a mind of their own. And easy to repair and maintain. My Latitude E 5510 was a great laptop (I gave it to a close friend of mine for Christmas, he needed a good laptop.). I also like Lenovo ThinkPad T series 410 boxen (I am typing this post on one). You have great taste in laptops.

16. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

FWIW, I found, in my case, a good multiple blasts of canned air into the exhaust vents(yes that what I said !) while my lap tops are running every three months seem to work very well for my machines, that are mostly "refurbs", and some have been running 24/7 for close to ten years, only rebooting as needed by OS update requirements, or a hardware upgrade..
    They get a more complete up skirt canned air "blow job" when opened up for larger SSD upgrade, or I notice a more frequent fan speed cyclic activity..
    No animals live with me, so this method works for me, though when I only owned and ran a desk top, plus owned a Saint Bernard, the machine was taken outside and completely blown out with my shop compressor hose nozzle several times a year.

After trying to work on a few people`s desk tops many years ago and seeing their animal/s, and their dander blow out into my room when I powered the machine up years ago, after that experience, all computer`s that are brought to me get a pre house test/examination outside complete compressor blow job until there is no more haze seen with the complete application of focused nozzle air from the machine with it`s side cover off..
    I find it`s a very good idea to backward/forward direct compressed air directed through the power supply in/out vents beneficial as well..
    Nasty looking crud has been seen discharging from many a machine brought here !!

17. ConradH

ConradH Addicted Member

My desktop is in a pretty clean environment, but I pull it apart once or twice a year for cleaning. It's never bad, but there's always a layer of dust in there. It runs near 24/7.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  18. faber12

faber12 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have been brought laptops to be worked on that were so caked with dirt piled up against the heatsink that they were shutting off due to overheating. It really is amazing how long they can run with 1/4 inch of dirt piled up inside.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  19. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

I've gotten into desktops that look like a piece of carpet was glued to the heat fins. I've learned to clean mine every couple of years.

FileFixer and Bill Ferris like this.
  20. sol7

sol7 Super Member

I think computers and their fans are magnets for anything airborne.

Just think, all that crap you are cleaning out of your computers came from the same air you breath everyday!