Have you heard a Sonic Boom?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by Wireworm5, Aug 8, 2005.

?

Have you heard a Sonic Boom?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2005.
  1. Yes, I have heard a Sonic/s Boom.

89.3%
  2. Nope, haven't heard one yet.

10.7%
  1. onepixel

onepixel .

I know what a SR-71 looks like and sounds like. In the 2nd part, I was talking about seeing a sonic boom over San Francisco Bay. I guess I should've been more clear.

John James likes this.
  2. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

Sort of a common occurrence here in Coventry, we just had two Navy jets fly over the house yesterday and one of them opened the throttles heading back toward Hartford

3. 91r100gs

91r100gs Lunatic Member

Heard the fighter jets kick in afterburners and break the sound barrier here over NE Kansas City when President George W. Bush visited the area about 3 months after 9-11. They flew a circle over him the whole time he was out of the car. Also live about 60 air miles from Whiteman Air Force Base. They fly over a couple of times a day, occasionally they fire them up, and make a boom.

4. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Use to hear sonic booms frequently back in the seventies but not really since unless you count rifle shooting then ive heard it a lot.

5. bob777

bob777 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Used to hear them all time when the shuttle was flying here on the space coast.
    Still hear very deep, intense rumbling every time they launch something down at the cape,which they do amazingly often (wonder who is paying for all that??). Often shakes the windows. We're 65 miles away.

John James and Cosmicmes like this.
  6. mcgarick

mcgarick Well-Known Member

I was fishing up at Dog lake at white pass in Washington state one afternoon. It was dead silent and I was trolling for brookies in this alpine lake. I saw a shadow whip by and a large black B1 bomber plane bank in the distance and then KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    seemed like the whole lake jumped up....I yelled "HOLY SH!%"
    and freaked for a few seconds not know what just happened...
    Yes, I have heard a sonic boom..

On another note, didnt bother the fish at all.. the bite was still on!!

John James and Cosmicmes like this.
  7. Cosmicmes

Cosmicmes Active Member

Damn! I've only seen one bomber actually in the air, a B-52 over Vermont in '85. That was a menacing sight, what you saw had to have been cooooool!

mcgarick likes this.
  8. Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson Modulator Super Mod Subscriber

I went to the air show at the Alameda Naval Air Station in 56 and the 102's had just come out. As I was leaving I cut across a golf course and was standing under a big tree when a 102 did a flyby at 150' and the sonic boom nearly defoliated the tree I was standing under. Needless to say I almost crapped my paints. I was 12 then.

Erik Tracy, mcgarick and John James like this.
  9. leesonic

leesonic Hold on, here comes the bass. Subscriber

No, but I used to see the Concord coming in to land at Heathrow most days when I lived in London. I miss seeing that bird in the sky... :(

British_Airways_Concord.jpg

mcgarick likes this.