Have you noticed with a lot of the modern music that...?

Now that I re-read this, I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to -- got any examples?

Sorry no titles. Don't really buy into this genre, so memory of such.

It's the type wherein a lot of the lyrics are often sung with computer enhancement that makes the words sound almost human. Cher might have started this quite a while back with one of her renditions.

Q

LOL - y'all crack me up. In the early 80's you heard Human League, etc and they were just as you described it. What is different is that you are getting older and turning into your parents.

I hear ya. Guess we all are effected by time...and gravity!:D

Q

It's the type wherein a lot of the lyrics are often sung with computer enhancement that makes the words sound almost human. Cher might have started this quite a while back with one of her renditions.

Q
Oh, you mean the "Auto-tune" synth-pop. Yeah it's ubiquitous. Don't worry. In a few years it will be as obsolete as the Syn-Drum (and possibly approaching a similar unlistenability index until it becomes hip again based on the fact that nobody would be caught dead using it until it's so un-cool that it is considered "Ironic" or iconoclastic).

Pop music relies on formulas that are proven to work. And strangely enough, many are written by Swedish songwriting companies. I think of Pop as the fast food of music. McDonald's burgers taste the same anywhere you go, just like Pop songs all sound the same. I don't touch either.

As to the auto-tune craze, I think there are two parts to this phenomenon. There's the voice changing effect that you hear a lot, which is just a trend, then there is the subtler pitch correcting side. This makes anyone who can't really sing on pitch, sound like they can. This part I don't like, because you can't really tell if someone is actually a good singer or not.

Pop music relies on formulas that are proven to work. And strangely enough, many are written by Swedish songwriting companies. I think of Pop as the fast food of music. McDonald's burgers taste the same anywhere you go, just like Pop songs all sound the same. I don't touch either.

I think of pop music as "Empty calories'. I can't live on it, but sometimes they hit the spot.

Kit-Kat ain't Skittles ain't gummy bears. Gummy bears might be moldable into some sort of ear-plug that would block out some saccharine pop in an emergency, though . : )

As to the auto-tune craze, I think there are two parts to this phenomenon. There's the voice changing effect that you hear a lot, which is just a trend, then there is the subtler pitch correcting side. This makes anyone who can't really sing on pitch, sound like they can. This part I don't like, because you can't really tell if someone is actually a good singer or not.

Heard the strangest take to computer enhancement this day in music production! At the end of a phrase/word, the frequency was lowered. Drastically! To my way of thinking...it was weird. Probably because I've never heard this effect before. It was like taking a guitar string and loosening it, in trying to get the correct pitch on the string. In the case of the tune in question, the board man kept doing this all through the whole song, giving it a "Doppler" effect. Have heard this before, but not with the voices and instruments.

I often think, different producers trying the new to get noticed, to to stand out from the rest of the crowd, eh? And there's a waiting audience ready to embrace something different.

And it was...different.

Q

Heard the strangest take to computer enhancement this day in music production! At the end of a phrase/word, the frequency was lowered. Drastically! To my way of thinking...it was weird. Probably because I've never heard this effect before. It was like taking a guitar string and loosening it, in trying to get the correct pitch on the string. In the case of the tune in question, the board man kept doing this all through the whole song, giving it a "Doppler" effect. Have heard this before, but not with the voices and instruments.

I often think, different producers trying the new to get noticed, to to stand out from the rest of the crowd, eh? And there's a waiting audience ready to embrace something different.

And it was...different.

Q
Hendrix did that on Electric Ladyland "!983...". sounds amazing.

Just went back to Cher's '98 recording of "Believe" and apparently she had this done to the recording as she felt her vocals were not up to snuff.

I know the "Wall of Music" saves/ed a lot average singers as they get lost in the sound of accompaniment.

Q

Last edited:
Cher might have started this quite a while back with one of her renditions.

Q
Yes, it was "Believe" in 1998-9, I think. The story goes: they were using Autotune for pitch control (never Cher's strong suit) and somebody inadvertently cranked it to 11 thereby creating that cheesy "drowning" effect that remains popular to this day.

Oh, you mean the "Auto-tune" synth-pop. Yeah it's ubiquitous. Don't worry. In a few years it will be as obsolete as the Syn-Drum (and possibly approaching a similar unlistenability index until it becomes hip again based on the fact that nobody would be caught dead using it until it's so un-cool that it is considered "Ironic" or iconoclastic).
Okay, I'll continue to wait for it to go away. Been over 20 years so far ...

There is a ton of great music out right now. Where are you finding most of the stuff you are hearing? If it's through the traditional avenues then you are being shortchanged. YouTube has music from all over the world in every genre imaginable. You can see it all and decide what you like. You don't have to eat what they are feeding you anymore. I for one am 49 this year and feel like I'm finding my groove in a big way lately.

Q

Oh yeah THOSE songs.

A mike, laptop, garageband and autotune and you're ready to go. Any song where the artist is "Producer- Song feat. (featuring) singer" is usually going to be a sausage machine created product. It might of started way back when Gergio Moroder added a click track to songs, then came sampling, drum machines and lately autotune.

I can only think of one I like.

The rest are like this.

Like @UncleBingo said.......may they go the way of the Synth Drum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom