1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Have you once rejected a high quality amp for a much budget one ? ( cost wasnt an issue )

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by quadklipsh, Mar 10, 2018.

1. quadklipsh

quadklipsh Super Member

Sometimes you get past hi end amps but you dont think youll keep em .
    Let me know when you ever came accross such an amplifier that you didnt keep and instead went for a very humbly priced but nicer toned amplifier....
    Please narrate the models compared

Please register to disable this ad.

2. quadklipsh

quadklipsh Super Member

I can say that i didnt like

a sansui 907 imos limited amplifier

and went on with

my Quad 303 and a few others.

3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Not really,

I did luck out and found some very rare 100 watt tube mono blocks made in the mid 90s by VAC that sound just as good as my McIntosh MC275s MMk VI that I have two of mono blocked @ 180wpc.

When buying the VAC amps there was no info on the net nor any sales to judge the value for them. The seller didn't buy them new either and had no idea what to sell them for he was just flipping them.

While I paid a 12th of the cost of the mac amps I feel they are worth much more than I paid.

But in short I haven't heard many low budget amps sound better than high end/ high cost amps.

stish and bhunter like this.
  4. 4-2-7

Isn't that pretty much apples and apples comparison? or different from what some would consider your talking about in the title and OP.

5. quadklipsh

quadklipsh Super Member

The 907 costed me 3times as much

6. 4-2-7

But they are both vintage used gear and around the same quality IMO
    Your location will have something to do with pricing as well, where as in the states we might have a lot more availability of all brands.

7. quadklipsh

quadklipsh Super Member

Well yeah . U guessed it right about location n pricing here.
    But both amps vary widely in 2nd hand pricin online too. Imo.

8. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's when I worked in the Pro audio business we had a collection of what today are called "collectors" amps we'd taken in on trade. Crown, Phase Linear, Ampzilla, SAE and various others. We were a BGW and Soundcraftsmen dealer though and those two brands were the only ones us employees wanted, especially BGW. I still have BGW power amps in use I bought over 36 years ago.

9. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

Nope.

Regards
    Mister Pig

stish and awillia6 like this.
  10. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Don't know about high end but a TPA-3116 ousted/replaced Mitsubishi DA-A15 - Yamaha M65 - Nad 216 THX & others in my biamped system.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  11. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Only time I can remember that happening to me was with a Kenwood 907 integrated. I preferred the sound of the lesser KA9100 during a few comparisons. That monsterous KA907 should've walked all that 9100 and I was quite surprised that it didn't..

12. John Daly

John Daly Active Member

lots of people on here seem to think the more it costs the better it sounds...let them on ...

danrclem likes this.
  13. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

The retailers will always say go with the money. Wrong. Go with what fits your personal preference. The OP compared his two candidates and chose the one he likes better. Personally, I've owned high dollar Mac tubes in the form of a pair of MC275V's and 2300 preamp. They were the current models at the time. A buddy brought over his TAD-60 which was a new-ish Chinese amp, also KT-88. (The TAD-60 was designed by an American and made in a factory that was destroyed in a recent earthquake.) The 2300 has remote controlled output selection which allowed for blind testing. The TAD-60 was every bit as entertaining and engaging as the MC275V. It took hardcore back to back switching to find a difference but the difference was minimal and in no way detracted from either amp. Without the benefit of comparo testing, the two would sound the same. This was shocking to me but I am a purist and not susceptible to the considerable allure of psycho-acoustics. Mac's are beautiful to behold and to own but ultimately do not sound better. I sold my Mac setup shortly thereafter.

danrclem likes this.
  14. quadklipsh

quadklipsh Super Member

Tad60 itself looks expensive

15. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

I've been flipping some inexpensive class 'D' chip amps of similar output power with my Marantz 8. Dunno if the Maranz would be permanently displaced by anything else, but of course "different" and "better" are not the same thing. "Different" can be simply variety.

16. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I have, but not last time.

17. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I have been generally lucky in my choices to obtain and had luck with prices too. The only receiver I remember getting rid of was a low powered Mitsubishi that I thought was more than it was. It ended up being 35 watts and did nothing for me. I sold it at a loss and was glad to see it go.

18. hnash53

hnash53 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I bought a Sanyo DCX3300KA quad/4-channel receiver. Then, I came across a NOS Sansui QRX5500... and bought it. It was a beautiful machine and impressive to look at.
    But the sound lacked something.
    So I decided to A/B them... and to my amazement, the Sanyo truly outperformed the Sansui in terms of front to back separation. I couldn't believe it... so I kept A/B-ing them.

Sure the Sansui had more power but my listening habits never needed that much power. I kept the Sansui for awhile in my closet in its original box... and then sold it.

I still have the Sanyo. Go figure....

19. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

Not hear......I just had too !!!

I’ve dumped equipment that didn’t sound as good, but most of it was on loan from a buddy that worked at the San Jose Pacific Stereo. My thoughts is it’s about the sound and not how much it costs and sometimes there’s an exception to the rule of cost. Why would anyone keep the amp that’s sounds worse unless your keeping both anyway...