Haven't Bought a Receiver in 35 years...

Vintage is OK if you have caps that are still somewhat in spec. I just spent a lot on a nice vintage piece and now it's acting up as some caps are failing somewhere.

Can't go wrong with this:

Harman Kardon HK 3700 2-Channel Stereo Receiver with Network Connectivity

Link: http://a.co/blrtetD

I've purchased a few of the more recent offerings from Harman Kardon for installs, nice looking faceplates, better SQ than most of the other budget receivers I've installed.

I hate to recommend individual receivers as I've had really no long term experience with any other than the Pioneer SX 1010 I inherited when my father in law passed. Been a separates kind of guy from the beginning.

Perhaps getting a little out of your intended budget range, but Emotiva and Cambridge Audio should be on your short list as well.
I have to second the Cambridge Audio advice. I just picked up a used (very cared for), 551R for $250. While this is a 7.1 receiver, the sound quality is stunning! (I use analog direct for most of my listening). Read the reviews, Cambridge sacrifices bells and whistles for better design and components. There are some good 2 channel integrated amps out there.
Good luck! And have fun!

An Outlaw receiver is going to be the only thing close to what use to be sold and then your looking to spend twice as much money than you plan.

Then all the rest of the new stuff sounds phony......

Back
Top Bottom