Having trouble using portable DAC/Amp with Android Galaxy S5

JayWoodall2

Anyone recall the name of the app I need to use to have music play thru the Android's USB instead of out the 3.5 headphone jack? It is called "Audio PRO" something or other on the Google Play App store.

I intend to stream Tidal out the USB port of the phone into the portable DAC/Amp. Then out the 3.5 headphone jack on the DAC/Amp.

Much Thanks, JW-

Google OTG cable (On the go). Need that cable to plug into USB and usually has info how to use it.

Yes, I use an OTG adapter cable (and Neutron player) to run my S5 to an external DAC. I paid a buck more to get a USB3 connector version. USB3 doesn't improve the performance in this regard, afaik, it just provides a more secure/robust-feeling connection to me.

20170310_074552.jpg

Last edited:
How about USB Audio Player Pro?
Google OTG cable (On the go). Need that cable to plug into USB and usually has info how to use it.
Both of these are my "recipe" and work fine. I use these with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black for the headphones. It's all good. :)

Tried Neutron but it was a laggy piece of crap, and couldn't even access network/DLNA without crashing. USB Audio Player Pro read everything instantly and the UI is so much nicer, and shows you the sampling rate your DAC is connected at. Haven't tried HiBy yet. You won't need these music player apps if you are only streaming from apps on the phone (like Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, etc.).

Thanks to all for their replies/help. I found Wildcat's guidance to be true in my case: I ended up not needing any additional app (as referenced in my initial question) to stream Tidal on my Samsung S5 phone. I just plugged in the OTG cord to the amp/DAC (micro USB male to micro USB male, in my case. Which was not easy to find) and it works great.

This is my first portable headphone amp/DAC (it is a Topping NX2. Paid about $40 for it). And I am over the MOON. Sound quality is wonderful. Especially with the MQA files on Tidal.

Plus, I have been using two new headphones (Grado SR60 e and KZ ATE earbuds - at about $70 and $15 respectively, both are extraordinary audio values.)

One can get so much audio quality for so little money these days! Times are good.

JW-

Back
Top Bottom