HBO's Vinyl last night

Jayrosc

Anybody see this? Aside from what the critics say, I had fun looking for all the great stereo gear sprinkled though the entire show. Not sure how much was real, but there were some nice things on display.

I don't know why they would use props when the real gear is available to use. All that I saw looked like real gear.

A local repair shop in Rockford, IL appears to have restored gear for this series - Sounds Classic. It is mentioned on their website. No affiliation. I don't get HBO, looks like it would be fun to watch.

I spotted what appears to be a Teac A-4300SX with NAB hubs. I'd be far more impressed if they had some Scully or Tascam large multi-track pedestal decks and other pro equipment instead of home consumer gear. As far as the show itself it's got the usual fluff and historically inaccurate jive going on but Dice Clay was great as was his demise. It's "entertainment" not a documentary after all. Whoever packaged up those drugs has no idea of how things were done back then either. Forward into the past that never was...

I spotted what appears to be a Teac A-4300SX with NAB hubs.

Let's get a model number check on that machine. The 43oo is a 7 machine. maybe just a typo, 3300, 3340, 3440 were 10" machines. Could have had NABs on the 4300, didn't see it but no reason to. Site linked shows a 6100 with 10" reels on it.

The pioneer rig looked good, 9100s and what looked like a 1020/1050 but could be something else. Fun to sift through and identify the gear.

You guys know just how dedicated to 'analog' I am. So understand that I shut the pilot episode of this series after a half hour, because it stinks, IMHO.

This is not why I decided to post here tonight. I posted because the series was just advertised on CBS-TV. They briefly mentioned that "The soundtrack is available..............." So I present this to you, wondering whether the soundtrack is available on vinyl, and if so, how was it engineered?

All the equipment is real, just not all from the same time period. Also, very poor component combinations. Some don't make sense. Like having a Marantz receiver with an additional tuner thrown in for??? Luck?? Many of the cassette decks are about 5 years too new and then there is that Pioneer RT-707 that time-traveled. To us audio nerds, that's like sneaking in a 1964 1/2 Mustang into American Graffiti.

That is what I have noticed. The gear is a mismash of what they could find and throw together, not a 'system' purchase as would have been the case with a few of these installations.

I for sure did not like the what appear to be Advent speakers with the Dynaco tube amp between them and the speakers has dirt patterns on the grille cloth and these were in the window of the store. Should be clean pristine grilles like we put on our speakers.

That is what I have noticed. The gear is a mismash of what they could find and throw together, not a 'system' purchase as would have been the case with a few of these installations.

I for sure did not like the what appear to be Advent speakers with the Dynaco tube amp between them and the speakers has dirt patterns on the grille cloth and these were in the window of the store. Should be clean pristine grilles like we put on our speakers.
That Dynaco was in the window of a record shop. More likely in a hi Fi shop. Inside the same store they're playing records on a cheap BSR type record player. Still it's fun to spot gear. Macintosh amp on the Piano in Hanabil's apartment.

Interesting selection of gear. Not sure when the show's supposed to take place, but I'm guessing that the Beocenter 7000 is way too new for the time period, since it came out around 1980. They probably should've used a Beogram 4002 and Beomaster 4000, or somesuch. Might've looked too futuristic, though... :idea:
-Adam
Beonerd
i.gif

I didn't dig the series when I first saw it. I'm re-watching it now that I've learned a lot more about vintage audio gear, and I'm carefully looking around the actors in scenes and trying to identify all the gear in the rooms or homes. Some cool stuff.

The important thing is that all the cartridges were aligned perfectly, from what I observed, not having seen it...

:D

You geeks sound like me watching military stuff in a movie or on a TV show. ;)

You geeks sound like me watching military stuff in a movie or on a TV show. ;)

Yeah, I could imagine that could be frustrating, and maybe even funny at times.
BTW, Saturday I went to Ace Hardware and there was an old timer there getting paint to paint his shed wearing a WWII veteran hat. Shook his hand, said thanks and asked him what theater. He was a tank driver in Patton's third. How cool is that! Unfortunately my son wasn't with me to meet him.

Back
Top Bottom