HDMI 4K compatability

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by gary7, Nov 17, 2017.

1. gary7

gary7 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice. But the TV & Onkyo pretty well broke my AV budget for the month, er, several months.:) That may be a few months down the road if I go for that.

2. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

Congratulations on the new setup. Highly recommend Oppo players, be it cd DVD or 4k players. Excellent quality excellent company and top notch service. I currently own the udp 203 and have owned the 105/D, 103D and the 83 all excellent with zero issues.

Audiofreak71

Bill Ferris likes this.
  3. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

OPPO UDP-203~205, is my suggestion gary7..
    Excellent build, performance, and support.
    Other`s can offer other brand`s, but for me, at least the first of the two, I have first hand experience with..
    Good luck with whatever you chose Sir.

Kind regards, OKB

4. gary7

I'll look at that. Sounds just what the Doc ordered.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

Yes + :thumbsup: + :bigok: + :bowdown: + :beerchug:, and worth every invested dollar IMO/E, FWIW !!

Audiofreak71 likes this.
  6. gary7

What? It doesn't play HD DVDs? LDs? :);):confused:

Bill Ferris likes this.
  7. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

As much as they do, you would think they would wash the dishes and fold the laundry as well lol but I think oppo decided to leave that up to the other manufacturers. What they do, they do it the best and have passion for there products, something that is unfortunately overlooked these days in alot of things we buy. Fortunately there are still companies who really do love what they do and it shows in the products they make.

Audiofreak71

8. gary7

Got it hooked up. Using a Sony up-scaling DVD player, receiver having issues with DTS-HD. Tried my Samsung Duo BD-HDDVD player, same thing. Trying updating the firmware now. I'll report back

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. gary7

Finished the firmware update. Seems to have taken care of the DTS-HD issue. Wanted me to set up for DTS-X when I turned it on, said the firmware would add it. I'll do that when I get a 4K player.

10. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station....

If I were king, HDCP would be turned off at the household level upon providing proof that you actually pay for cable and movie subscriptions. I'm not trying to steal movies, I just want to be able to watch TV by the pool side occasionally without having a third cable box and blue ray player. It is going to be bad day when I have to give up my component video and am forced to go back to fighting HDCP via HDMI.

Appreciate the 4K HDPC discussion. It makes keeping my current gear easier given the upgrade chain. The main TV is 4k but none of the sources are....

11. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

I had the same issue with my older HT processor. no 1080P. So I sent the video via HDMI directly to the display. Worked like a charm for over a year till I found the pre-owned processor I wanted. Now there is concern for 4k and 8k is right around the corner. So I'll play the waiting game again. I'd like to have one of LG's OLED 75" displays. But I'm waiting for the prices to come down. So my Elite plasmas will have to suffice. They are great on their own with 1080P. But 99%of the network signals can't match the capabilities of the displays via Satellite, so I'm not in a hurry to step up to 4K.

Its like being in the 80's a dealing with Laser discs all over again.

12. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

I didn't have all of these problems with my VHS or Beta tapes.I think they were 16 K ????

13. gary7

:)

jimimac likes this.
  14. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

A typo, perhaps? Surely you meant 16 BC. ;)

jimimac likes this.