HDMI Buzz (Ground loop??) when connecting Laptop to Yamaha RX-V375

riskyskiita

Hey guys, so I've got an issue with buzzing from my speakers when I connect my laptop to my receiver via HDMI cable. My set-up is as follows...

Outlet --- surge protector --- RX-V375 --- TV, PS4, 5.1 speaker set-up, HDMI cable for laptop

The issue is, the buzzing only happens when I plug in my laptop into the HDMI. When I switch to using the ps4, there's no buzz at all. I've also connected straight up to the TV with no receiver in between, and again, no buzzing. I've also tried a couple different HDMI cables and different combinations of HDMI ports on the receiver, all of them reproduce the buzzing when connecting my laptop.

Does anyone have any idea about the cause of this? Is it a laptop issue? A receiver issue? Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately both plugged and unplugged, I still get the buzzing sound. I've tried different outlets and different surge protectors, but it still happens. Could another plugged in device on the surge protector be the culprit? Or maybe the outlets themselves? I only have two pronged outlets, so I have old outlet adapters left by the previous apartment tenant.

also try running laptop on its battery .
Try powering the laptop from a different power outlet.

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately both plugged and unplugged, I still get the buzzing sound. I've tried different outlets and different surge protectors, but it still happens. Could another plugged in device on the surge protector be the culprit? Or maybe the outlets themselves? I only have two pronged outlets, so I have old outlet adapters left by the previous apartment tenant.

Oh, and I went back and rechecked something, not sure if it'll make a difference, but when I hook up a straight connection right from TV to HDMI to Laptop (with no receiver in-between) the buzzing remains. Is this a ground loop issue with the TV possibly?

Oh, and I went back and rechecked something, not sure if it'll make a difference, but when I hook up a straight connection right from TV to HDMI to Laptop (with no receiver in-between) the buzzing remains. Is this a ground loop issue with the TV possibly?

If you have NOTHING connected to the laptop and TV except the HDMI cable, and the laptop is operating from battery, it's pretty tough for it to be a ground loop if there is no alternate ground path.

If you have NOTHING connected to the laptop and TV except the HDMI cable, and the laptop is operating from battery, it's pretty tough for it to be a ground loop if there is no alternate ground path.
Yeah, when I went back and checked and realized I may have made a mistake. It may be my laptop, as I tried using a different laptop to connect via hdmi, and it plays audio just fine, no buzz at all.

Back
Top Bottom