1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

HDMI cable failure

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by Poultrygeist, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

My bedroom Roku 3 has worked great for the past several years but suddenly the picture started fading in and out and finally a "no signal" blue screen. I assumed it was the Roku as they don't last that long. Substituted another Roku in it's place but the same problems existed. My TV is a cheap Sieki so I thought it might be a faulty HDMI input. I ruled that out when the DVD player worked fine on that input. With no other options to try I exchanged the original HDMI cable for a new one and bingo problem solved.

The HDMI cable was the last thing I thought would fail. It was not bent, crimped and never touched plus it's connection was solid. Lesson learned.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

another issue I found was that some cables are directional.

I had tested a laptop to wall-mounted LCD panel and it worked. On the day of use, I hooked
    it up and it didn't work. then after minutes of frustration I turned the cables around and it
    worked. then I noticed labels with arrows.

did someone know something no one else knows?

3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

I had the same thing happen to a XLR cable that feeds one of my subs. It simply died. There was no warning and the cable hadn't been touched. It just stopped working.

4. chip18sw

chip18sw Active Member

Hmm ... I have an older Roku and a Chromecast, that both stopped working one day?? I'll have to dig them up and reinvestigate. I've never pay any attention to the "HDMI" cables???

5. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

I have to ask, what would make a cable only work in one direction ?

6. highvoltage_

highvoltage_ Super Member

I had the same question, did a little digging. There are cables out there that are active HDMI, as opposed to passive. Interesting, never heard of them until just now.

faber12 and Beatnik like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

Interesting, I'll have to read on that too.

highvoltage_ likes this.
  8. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nowadays some cables have integrated circuits in them - they are not just wires.

9. CoogarXR

CoogarXR Super Member

Yeah, I have a "boosted" (aka "long") HDMI cable that is directional.

highvoltage_ likes this.
  10. highvoltage_

highvoltage_ Super Member

Which makes sense. I would guess it's only the longer cables that need a boost. Something I will be taking a closer look at next time I buy a long HDMI cable.