HE-400i Assessments/Comparisons

musichal

poet emeritus
I really like my 400i 'phones, and am happy with my choice. One of my Mississippi homeys, AKer barefootbrew, who started the cool what-tickets-are-in your-wallet thread PM'd me that he'd just ordered a pair, too. We like talking about gear and sharing music and he said I was a partial influence (along with many, many other owners) in his decision - as we could compare apples with apples, to some extent (amplification different).

He mailed me one of those little memory stick things with some music files last week, and I told him he'd have laughed his butt off to see me take fifteen minutes to figure out how to open the damned thing - I mean physically open the stick, lol. Never used one before... and there's that whole being stoopid thing going on, too.

At any rate, this got me to put on the phones for a bit - most of my listening is via speakers, which, like many, I prefer - and I got to thinking about various headphones I have heard, or owned, over the years. Stax Lambda Pro were the highest-end phones I ever heard. A few Sennheisers, but not the top models, and decades ago. Nakamichi SP-7. Various Sony, including the cheap MDR-S101 that got a nod from Stereophile in the 80s. AKG K240 were always in my possession, and were my go-to phones for many years. Grados, no higher model than the 125s.

So, I've not been exposed to the really high-end models, nor am I likely to pursue any. But some folks here have heard a lot of current models, including some that are quite pricey. And many of those folks have also listened to, or indeed also own, one or another version of the 400-series Hifiman; my 400i have supplanted the K-240s.

I'm interested in hearing from you guys about your experience with them, whether it is love, or hate, or just meh. If you want to compare them with another brand/model that's good, too. Is there a headphone about the same price you prefer, or perhaps at ten times the price. Whatever you personally have experienced, not what you have read, is what I'm getting at.

And if someone trashes them, let's not get defensive, guys. Everyone has their own biases, expectations and experiences and all are valid for that user/owner. And if you also want to mention a holy grail model that you've actually heard, that's cool, too. I'm just way behind the times when it comes to headphones.

I got the 400s about 2 months ago - the price drop was too tempting. I have the 560s and they have been my favorite for a few years (the LCD-3s sit in their box pretty much unused). The 400s, to me, represent probably the best value in planars around. They do lack some of the refinement of the 560s, but they sound quite good for the price. The 400s may not be to everyone's liking since any model of headphones will sound different sitting on someone's particular head. That's why auditioning is so important and seems to be oft overlooked. I had the chance recently to listen to the Senn HD-800 s with my recently acquired Woo headphone amp and I might be hooked. I'm trying real hard not to think about them.
Anyway, in my personal opinion and that's what headphones come down to, you have a pretty darn good set of phones with the 400s.

Cheers

I actually just got my 400i s in the mail 2 days ago. I've only owned closed backs and I so far love these things. I don't have a dedicated headphone amp yet but my luxman 1040's headphone jack sounds great. I listened for 4 hours last night and they were comfortable and I didn't get listening fatigue.

I actually just got my 400i s in the mail 2 days ago. I've only owned closed backs and I so far love these things. I don't have a dedicated headphone amp yet but my luxman 1040's headphone jack sounds great. I listened for 4 hours last night and they were comfortable and I didn't get listening fatigue.

Jump back in when you get at least 100 hours on them if you note any difference in the bass over that time.

After the recent price drop to $249 Canadian on several sites it seems a lot of people decided to try them. Now there are many mint ones for sale for even less than that on a variety of second hand sites. Tempting, though you have to wonder why so many people decided not to keep them, but do you think my SMSL AD18 could drive them? Here are the HP amp specs:

32Ohm 64Ohm 150Ohm
53mW@THD=0.04% 26mW@THD=0.02% 11mW@THD=0.02

Great headphones. Very clear sounding. I got my 400i's for Christmas and like them a lot. I'm not a big user of headphones for music at home, but do use them for travel and occasional video games.
Before getting the 400i's, I only had two headphones that I used. My travel and video game headphones are some very light weight Bose that my wife gave me as a surprise gift 16 years ago. They are the only close back pair that I currently own. My other set of phones that have been my go to pair for home use for many years are Grado 225's. I've also owned Grado 125's as well.

How do the 400i's compare - Well they are a bit more clear than the Grado's, both are excellent and clear sounding headphones, but the comfort of the 400i's is far better than the Grado's.

I've listened to other headphones, mostly more expensive Grado's and Sennheisers(up to the 650's), and these 400i's are every bit as good or better sounding for a lot less money.

Hopefully, the cable holds up. It's the only area that concerns me in the long term. But, I remember thanking, but secretly laughing at my wife when she gave me the Bose. The cable looked like it wouldn't make it for more than a few months at best!!! They looked very light and fragile. And yet,16 year later, even after the kids using them for games, they are still working fine. Hopefully, that luck continues with the 400i's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom