Head demagnitization question....

rockin1150

Can a magnetized philips screwdriver mess with the head in your tape deck? I have a Sony 3 head that I think used to sound much better until I used a magnetized screwdriver to adjust the azimuth, now everything I play seems to sound kinda muddy and lacks soundstage. Any ideas why this would occur, thanks I'm kinda a newby at analogue. :D

I would de-mag just to be on the safe side. I's usually the last thing that I do when working on a deck. Reclean the heads and & rollers and demag. I probably demag & clean about every 12 -15 hours of run time.

I did it by ear, I just adjust it until the highs don't sound distorted or fuzzy, You know that terrible sound tape decks put out when one side of the tape sounds great and the other sounds really bad? that's why I adjustedt eh azimuth. I don't know why that the side A sounds great and needs no adjustment, but the B side sounds bad without adjusting. Any explaination?

Last edited:
If you did it by ear you did it wrong. Alignment track must be at true 90 degree to tape motion. otherwise you will loose high frequencies. This is a very criticle alignment. Not intended for ear guessing. Get your self an alignment tape and do it correctly. Or take it to a propper service station and have them show you how its done. Maybe they will sell you a alignment tape. You need to track alignment with meter or scope. NOT BY EAR.

Back
Top Bottom