head substitution from one reel deck to another

chapai

Is anybody did it? i.e. substitute the heads from one deck to another?

as it nearly impossible to find Technics RS-1500 4tPB head.
Head block cost more than a whole recorder.

But I can get cheap Teac A 2300S and for more money, Sony 850 or may be something else.

So main idea to substitute the heads. Of course with electronics adjustments, but this is not a problem. My concern right now about the size, mechanically fit and sound quality.

Or even I can look for another reel decks to cannibalize the proper heads.

any ideas?

Never did it but several heads from different manufacturers look similar so mounting may not be a problem. I'd try TEAC heads.

Have you tried JRF Magnetics? Talk to John there, he has done this and has the heads for this deck.
TEAC cobalt amorphous heads (like those on the x2000R) can be used, but mounts need modification.

Last edited:
I think the older TEAC permalloy heads have a standard mount.
Here's my thinking on attempting this:
Some manufacturers made their own heads, some didn't. Mitsumi (Might be Mitsui) made a lot of OEM heads in those days. If Panasonic used Mitsumi heads, chances are good you can find heads from another manufacturer who also used them. Sony seemed to make their own heads. So did Akai. The others, who knows? I always thought the TEAC heads looked pretty generic when I was replacing them, and my recollection is the RS1500 heads looked similar.

You can adjust head height visually by adjusting the head so the tape just covers the top pole piece of the head, with no pole piece showing. The tilt can be adjusted by placing a white card in front of the head to illuminate the front surface better and make it look white, and then sighting from the side at the front surface of the head and the nearest non adjustable true surface, like the guides or capstan. Move your head so the front surface of the guide just peeks out beyond the head, and adjust the tilt so the head is parallel to the guide. Then go back and adjust the height, and tilt again until both are correct.
Head protrusion is not always adjustable. Follow the directions in the service manual but it may require a jig.

thanks. I plan to use cheap usb microscope for that. Very useful tool.

is it any tape, like a leader but a completely transparent available for the purpose?

Last edited:
thanks. I plan to use cheap usb microscope for that. Very useful tool.

is it any tape, like a leader but a completely transparent available for the purpose?
You can use a transparent leader but you can also just use ordinary tape.

Let JRF Magnetics install those heads, he can align them to very precise standards like factory new. He does new heads, relapped heads, and installing heads on headblocks for high end professional studios. Unless you have really good test equipment and John R. French's knowhow., have it done professionally lest your machine not perform to spec and your new heads wear unevenly.

Not just one issue, but many issues. All of these have to be exactly adjusted:
-head height
-head wrap
-head penetration
-head tilt (zenith)
-head azimuth

Anything less than precise, makes your heads wear unevenly and much faster, your machine not perform to proper standard, and makes your tapes less than ideally compatible with other machines on playback. Get the performance you paid for.

thanks for the advertising JRF, but before I want to understand myself all details and the people experience. This is the purpose of all my questions. I use the third party only if can another way other way.

The Teac or Sony heads aren't what you need. Technics used the same supplier for heads as did Otari. You can get Otari heads. Don't go cheap on this machine for a 4 track head, the Otari 4 track play head is identical to the original. The Technics RS 1500 is no ordinary machine, one of the best of it's type ever built, don't take shortcuts, that machine in good mechanical and electronic working order is worth serious money. And those Teac heads won't last you 25% as long as a proper head this machine was fitted with, and I'm not dissing Teac in that era. Repair this classic properly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom