Headphone amp hookup with EQ

legal eagle

Sound Hound
I would like to add an Headphone amp to my setup, but there's a problem:
Hooking up headphone amps is done through the tape in/out which are taken by my equalizer.
Any solutions to that?
Can it be done through the equalizer?
31716585131813tt.JPG

Last edited:
Does your current set-up not have a head phone jack? My Sansui 350a and Yamaha R700 sound better than any of my headphone amps playing the same sources IMO.

Well,
the eq has something that looks like a headphones jack (though its called "SLM". i don't know what that means) but i will need a headphones amp because of the distance i will be sitting away from the system - i intend to place the headphones amp about 6 ft away using long RCA cables.

The output on the far right? Owners manual should tell you what its purpose is.

"SLM JACK
When used with the Audio Dynamics SLM-300 Sound level meter, Pink-Noise Record and 20 foot Interconnecting Audio cable, the right channel "LED METER"on the equalizer will read the output of the sound level meter directly.
This permits you to adjust the equalizer at the equalizer position when compensating your sound system or room acoustics."

In other words - a useless jack.

Ok, I am zero help at this point :dunno:

Maybe a switch of some type, send signal to HP Amp or EQ depending on what your doing.

Hook it up to the tape out on the EQ.
The EQ should have a swtich on the front that lets you put EQ in or out of the chain so you can hear the difference through the 'phones.

Is that an EQ5000 (wild guess based on the switch to turn the LEDs on the sliders on/off)?

"SLM JACK
When used with the Audio Dynamics SLM-300 Sound level meter, Pink-Noise Record and 20 foot Interconnecting Audio cable, the right channel "LED METER"on the equalizer will read the output of the sound level meter directly.
This permits you to adjust the equalizer at the equalizer position when compensating your sound system or room acoustics."

In other words - a useless jack.

The jack is only "useless" for headphone use. When I had an ADC Equalizer, SLM and the the test LP (late 70's) I found the entire setup quite helpful for flattening the in room response of my system. I never used an equalizer as a glorified tone control only for room response correction.

Back
Top Bottom