Headphone amplifier advice needed

fiddlefye

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been trying to solve a dilemma around here. I often like listening to FM before sleep, but my wife likes me around when she's falling asleep. This would not be a problem, except that she simply won't tolerate a visible stereo in the bedroom (I have them plenty of other places, the guest room, you name it). I have a good, small digital tuner which could tuck into the nightstand out of sight and some reasonably decent closed-type headphones, but no headphone output from the tuner.

My question is this: given that I'm listening to FM (as opposed to some source like vinyl or CD) and my headphones aren't absolutely incredible, what would folks suggest for an inexpensive, small but decent sounding headphone amp? Is there such a thing?

My only other solutions seem to be to get a bigger nightstand and put a full-sized receiver in there. Kinda a waste of space and receiver, though, not to mention potential heat issues. Either that or find small tuner with headphone output; not many of them out there as far as I can tell. I realize you can get MP3 players and such with FM, but that's just not really my thing.... All suggestions welcome, though!

There are tons of small inexpensive headphone amps available. I suggest you start by checking the reviews at head-fi.org. Good luck!

How about something like the Little Dot mkI?

I have the original LD Micro and it juices my Senn HD 595s adequately for situations like this, I just strap it to the back of my Zen Vision.

What about wireless headphones? Conventional RCA inputs so you don't have to change anything. Mine are a budget set, Koss, and they have a range of about 100'. I think I paid about $40 for them at Best Buy.

What about wireless headphones? Conventional RCA inputs so you don't have to change anything. Mine are a budget set, Koss, and they have a range of about 100'. I think I paid about $40 for them at Best Buy.

Sennheiser makes what are arguably the best wireless cans out there, the RS series.

Headroom makes some nice tiny headphone amps. Arguably the best non-diy bang for your buck.

And then theres DIY. This site oughta be required reading, he has a great guide to building a c-moy, and sells kits for his own designs too.

Anyone tried this one?

Has anyone tried the Little Dot Mk I? It looks like a possibility. If the result is as good as the headphone output from my Marantz 4300 receiver I'll be more than happy....

Do you want to build your own?

If so, refer to Headwize forum or Head-fi. A CMoy is easy enough if you want to try it. I use an OPA 2227 and like it a lot. A CMoy Linkwitz crossfeed is a nice addition. Kits for the crossfeed are available at Audiologica (tangent's site).

F

Wireless headphones are great. My girlfriend is a TV watcher, I am not. I can't stand the constant drone of bull. I bought her a pair of Advent wireless headphones (over ear type), and fed the transmitter from the L and R audio outputs on the satellite receiver. Now I can listen to music, and she gets all the TV she wants without driving me nuts with HSN or QVC. It's the best $80 I ever spent.

Have you considered a Sony SRF-59 Walkman? I use mine with Koss PortaPro phones and find it great for nighttime listening.

Or, you could....

Wireless headphones are great. My girlfriend is a TV watcher, I am not. I can't stand the constant drone of bull. I bought her a pair of Advent wireless headphones (over ear type), and fed the transmitter from the L and R audio outputs on the satellite receiver. Now I can listen to music, and she gets all the TV she wants without driving me nuts with HSN or QVC. It's the best $80 I ever spent.

Run a sleep timer on your main system and take on Aux out to the IR repeater in the bedroom or through the door across the hall, whatever. Then use the wireless headphones to fall asleep. The system will turn itself off and you don't need any gear in the bedroom. Bet the WAF will be higher on that?

Hey Fiddle, how's it going? :)

Back
Top Bottom