Headphone suggestions?

However, there are times when I want more privacy. I turn to the studio standard Sony MDR-7506. At $99, I think they are hard to beat.
I've been using these for many years now.

The MDR-7506 is the "professional" set of cans. The consumer version is the MDR-V6 -- identical except for the plug. Amazon sells them (currently) for $72.

They are very comfortable and do very well at sealing out noise (which is why they're the industry standard studio cans). They are also practically indestructible. And should you manage to damage them (I mangled the plug in my vacuum cleaner's beater one time :sigh:), the parts are easy to get and replace. The knock on them is that they're bright, but in reality what they are is extremely accurate. If there are flaws in what you're listening to, you will hear them. I use them for working on my needledrops, and I couldn't be happier.

Since I've had mine, I have never felt the need for any other set of cans.

Sennhieser HD280 Pro. They are the over the ear type and block out 35db of outside noise. You won't hear anything but the music and you won't bother anyone around you. I have 2 pair...paid $100 for the first pair and $85 for the second pair that I keep at work. The Grados are good too but they are on the ear.

I second that - the 280 pros are amazing headphones for the money.

I've heard good things about the Sennheisers sonically, but not in terms of fit and construction. I think the Sonys beat them there.

I'd suggest checking user reviews at Amazon or Head-Fi to get as much info as possible. Headphones are a pretty individual choice seeing as how they have to be worn.

I love my AKG-601's. Very Comfortable for extended listening sessions. They sound good too. I had Grados and Senns before and am really happy with the AKG's. :music:

I've owned the Grado SR-60's, 80's, RS1's, HD650's, HD540's, AKG K601's, AKG 340's, various Stax, Beyerdynamic DT770's, various Audio Technicas, Denon AH-D2000's and many more and in my opinion the best headphone under $100(and a serious contender for best under $200) is the current production Fostex T50rp. It has a planar magnetic element like Magnepan speakers and has a lushness and transparency that others can't keep up with. I listen to a wide variety of music and they perform well with all of it. They are also fairly easy to drive and will be happy with a good quality receiver headphone jack. The good news is it can be had for about $70 shipped and is built like a tank to withstand everyday studio monitor use.

headphones

Went down to Best Buy to try and demo something. Nothing in the way of cans- plenty of flatscreens though. No real stereo shops around. Not like the sixties and seventies- oh the good ole days. "But I was much older then, I'm younger than that now."

I'm too old school. I can't deal with noise coming in or going out so I ordered some Senns 280s.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how they sound to me.

Koss Pro-4 AA: Is anyone using these? I had a pair back in the 70's. I was told they are still a good value. Any opinions? I have a pair of the new Bose Noise Cancelling and can't say I'm real impressed with them. More "Ipod"-ish than vintage audio.

I know the OP has made his choice; just wanted to respond to this by saying yes, I believe they remain a good value. I had a pair back in the 70's and bought another pair . . . well, I don't remember exactly when (maybe around 1990), but they have the newer and, to my ears, more comfortable earpads. I also have Grado SR125's and a Grado headphone amp, but I prefer both the frequency balance and external noise blocking ability of the Koss Pro/4AA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom