Headphones sounded like poo

mclendo

So last night I was working on some stuff on the compy and my wife wanted to watch TV in the same room, so I put on my and my DT770 Pro cans. They sounded like absolute garbage - terrible imaging and thin. I was freaked out that maybe I had blown the drivers somehow. Anyways, gave up on the headphones and went back to work (nothing was on TV so it was okay).

Came in this morning and realized that the headphones plug had been partially pulled out. Fixed that, fired up some tunes, and all was well with the world.

Just a lesson, I guess - Always check simple stuff like connections/volume knobs/etc. before you go trying to diagnose some larger problem like kaput drivers or broken electronics.

It is a little reassuring to me to know that I can hear something and at least tell if it sounds like garbage without doing a A/B comparison to something that doesn't sound like garbage, though...

Indeed, things like that happen. How are those phones by the way. I was thinking about picking up a set of Beyerdynamics at some point.....

I have them and LOVE them. I listen to bass heavy music and these are great. They are very comfortable with a wide soundstage. They need power to sound good so they aren't what they should be out of a laptop or an ipod. Check out www.head-fi.org for tons of info and reviews.

They are definitely good phones (beyer dt-770). I have a pair that I use often...very nice rich sound and wide soundstage. Slouches they ain't. A little bit harsh in the highs but that's forgivable being as they don't represent the very top tier of headphone offerings.

Oh Yes the Plug Problem

I had this once with a built in set of stereo speakers on a nice toshiba timm monitor from the 90's. Started sounding like bad. Then one channel cut out. Oh man I was not happy. $450.00 for a all in one computer monitor with stereo speakers. Went to go replace the radioshack 1/8" stereo to rca cable and realized it was not plugged in all the way. I still replaced it with a higher quality radioshack cable. Now they sound great.

TTFN,

Josh

on the DT770 Pros

Indeed, things like that happen. How are those phones by the way. I was thinking about picking up a set of Beyerdynamics at some point.....

I have been extremely happy with mine. I have a hard time believing that they don't cost north of $200 for how they sound. I'd almost rather listen to music through the cans than my Yamaha reference monitors. The bass is amazingly well defined for a pair of cans. The other parts of the sound spectrum are fine as well. In addition to the nice sound they produce, the level of attenuation they produce for outside noises is very good as well, if you want to listen peacefully to music in a noisy environment. Conversely, this makes them very good headphones for monitoring during recording - I've never heard them bleed through into a mic. Also, the cloth pads are very comfortable - I've worn mine pretty much straight through a workday on several occasions and they've never become unpleasant to wear.

If you are looking for a pair of cans you will be happy with for a long time without spending tons of money, they definitely fit the bill.

Also, note that I have DT770 PROs. This is the 80 ohm version. There is a 250 ohm consumer version I can't speak to. A little power is a good thing for them (I run them through a Presonus HP4), but when I plug them directly into the headphone out at work I don't notice much of a change. That probably wouldn't be true for the 250 Ohm version, but I'm just speculating.

I hope you pick up a pair - they won't disappoint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom