Headphones

Submariner

I'm still looking for headphones because my AMT speakers are pounding the local population. I'm looking for wired, full ear not open air, headphones that have a good freq response. I'm currently uning some $100 Sony ear buds and the bass response is weak. I owned Koss Pro 4A headphones back in the day and they seemed to be good on the albums I like to play. Kind of a mix between Jazz and rock albums. Any recomendations in the $200-$300 range?

I am sure there will be many opinions, but I love my Grado SR-60's. I too searched and listened to many TOL headphones. These fit my budget at the time and sound awesome. There are many nicer versions of course. My 2c.

For closed, full-sized, and $200-300, the ONLY headphone I've ever liked that meets those specs is the AKG K340. Fortunately this is a vintage audio site, since the K340 is a vintage piece that's no longer manufactured. I've tried AKG's newer K271s and thought they were incredibly mediocre. I also like the K340 better than their current flagship (open-air) K701.

The K340's are 400 ohms, which requires a stout headphone amp, but among the best I've heard them was with was an inexpensive Earmax clone tube amp with 0 feedback.

They should pop up used from time to time in that price range (headphone forums, ebay). Only issue is there is some talk of many different sounding "versions" of these headphones (their production run was fairly long), one with substantially less bass.

I wore Sennheisser headphones on the submarine I was on for 6 years and loved them but they were semi open. I am not in a noisy enviorementso maybe I'm open to semi openfor better freq response. What sub $300 new Sennheisser,AKG or Grados are out there that are decent? I realize that my equipment in my sig file is a recent vintage collection but I was hoping headphone technolgy got better than my 1976 Koss pro 4As.

I realize that my equipment in my sig file is a recent vintage collection but I was hoping headphone technolgy got better than my 1976 Koss pro 4As.
Well, things are fairly bleak in the current high-end headphone scene. Most of the very best headphones were made in the late 80's and early 90's (of course common consumers likely never heard of them as they were $$$$). The K340 started in the 70's IIRC and can still beat most modern headphones. They were discontinued because they cost too much to make, being an elecrostatic/dynamic hybrid, complete with passive radiators (very complex). I still find the Koss PortaPro to be my favorite small-size headphone, and that came out in 1984.

The modern Grados are all very colored, and not to my preferences either - though you can change the balance of their coloration by changing pads. Modern AKG's I find rather bland and boring. Sennheiser's HD580/600/650 series (especially the 650) is very much to my liking, though they're full size open-air and sound their best with vinyl (like they were voiced for it).

I really recommend Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones for strong bass at $60.
But if you really want something in the $200 range pick up some Grado.
=D

Well, you might find this interesting.

Recently I bought the phones pictured off eBay. They looked gorgeous, came complete with the cool case, "worked perfectly", and I got them for $50.

I absolutely love them. Beautiful sound, not at all fatiguing, and extremely comfortable to wear. I wanted a complete over-the-ear set, and that's what these are.

I went on the web trying to find out anything I could about these, and found out that not only is the company still in business, but in fact they're the company that makes almost all of the aviation industry's headphones and headphone/boom mike combos.

So, I started searching through their site looking for any history on my pair, and zip. What I did find out is that they still make one pair of "audio" headphones, at an amazing price! They're only $221.

http://www.davidclark.com/StereoHeadset.html

I'm thinking of giving them a try, if only to see how they sound. If anybody decides to take the plunge, let us know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_0608 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0608 (Medium).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 143
If I were buying headphones today they would be Grado SR-225's or SR-325i's.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the 325i's... and might not like them as well as the 225's as the 325i's are supposed to sound more like the top of the line Grado's, which are great, but to my ear not as good as the SR-225's. I could have had the 700.00 Grado RS-1's and I preferred the 200.00 SR-225's.

God I wish I still had money to spend on toys!

I guess I don't have a golden ear, but the SR-225's just turned my crank. A lot of headphone lovers consider them the ultimate "rock" headphone, but to me they did ANY music justice and then some.

Unfortunately, some sub-human decided they wanted my SUV more than I did, and all my headphone gear was in the back at that time returning from a listening party, along with two binders full of CDs, etc. etc. Oh well...

If you HAVE to have closed headphones, take a look at AKG :)

A good value are the Sennheiser PRO-280's they list for 200 and are available on line from several places for 99. you can only hear a difference if you have several sets handy. I've seen the 28o's used to master tapes and discs. Spend additional $'s on the music!!!

so whats wrong with the 4AA? too heavy? too cheap? i just put a new set of earpads on mine (5 bux from Koss) and they still sound great, even after 30 or so years!

I just got a pair of Grado SR325i's The most articulate pair of head phones I Have have heard but mabey not for everyone,they are the flatest of the Grado line but there is still a focus on midrange and the highs don't roll of sharply like some others in his line up. They are not bright but they don't lack anything in the high end either unlike most,If you like electrostats you will like the sound of this grado offering.

i love my Sennheiser HD555's and considered the 280's as well. I can only imagine what the higher end line would sound like. oh to dream.

If you're looking for something closed or sealed, I HIGHLY recommend the AKG 271. It's totally sealed, and it sounds phenomenal, unlike most sealed cans I've heard. It has a great bass response, and that standard clarity that accompanies AKG headphones. The cable is detachable via mini-XLR, which makes it a cinch to swap out different cable upgrades (I like to use a DIY Cardas cable with it). It's really comfortable, also. It has the AKG suspension system, which just automatically adjusts to your head, and stays that way.

It most definitely needs a headphone amp to reach it's full potential, but a decent amp can be had for $100 or under (HeadRoom's "Total AirHead" amp is what I like to use when I'm out and about with the K271. It's small and sturdy like the headphones, sounds great and has a 40-something hour battery life on three AAAs)

If you're not after a sealed can, then all of the above recommendations are certainly worthwhile. I love Grado headphones. They're the warmest and most musical I've ever heard. SR-60s are great without an amp, SR-80s are better than the SR-60s, IMHO, but only when used with an amp, because the low end opens way up when amped. The unsealed, open AKG 'phones I've heard have only really blown me away with the 601 and 701. They're pricey, but certainly worth it. Like the 271, I find them to be very "clear" sounding and uncolored.

Sennheiser HD650 takes the cake, I think. It's just ASTOUNDINGLY accurate, and images like crazy. I don't own 'em, but I loaned a pair from a friend for a few months, and had the chance to really absorb them. They seem to earn their keep for the pricetag, which is considerable.

The HD595 is great also, and considerably less expensive. I find it to be a great "movie" headphone, which sounds especially good when used while watching movies.

Well, there's my take on it.

Another Grado fan (SR-80), though I am currently testing my thrift find of $1 Realistic 33-195s which are closed ear and actually don't sound terrible. They have a little inflatable pouch in the headband, which is something I'd never seen before. A thorough swabbing with all kinds of disinfectant/soaps before I blew into them, but pretty comfy now. I think I'll keep'em.

If you're looking for LARGE bass, you won't find it with anything sennheiser or Grado. Granted, it's great articulate, accurate, organic bass, it's just not LARGE.

Coming from speakers, Beyerdynamic DT770's are the only thing that come close to subwoofer level bass. The Denon line also has some good bass.

But the Grado line has GREAT, fast bass (it's just lean by basshead standards), and for Jazz they're good. The midrange is what makes Grado's shine. Acoustics, guitars and everything SHINE on them. Like alot of Grado fanboys say, "why settle for a couple rows back, when you can be ON STAGE?" referring to thier upfront, aggressive presentation.

I just got a pair of Grado SR325i's The most articulate pair of head phones I Have have heard but mabey not for everyone,they are the flatest of the Grado line but there is still a focus on midrange and the highs don't roll of sharply like some others in his line up. They are not bright but they don't lack anything in the high end either unlike most,If you like electrostats you will like the sound of this grado offering.

Yeah your review in another thread is why I want to hear some 325i's before I buy another set of SR-225's :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom