Headphones

Dear Mulveling:

Do you think that a Antique Soundlab MG HEAD DT OTL MKIII HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER could do the job???

Here it is the link that I found:

http://www.divertech.com/aslmgheaddt.html
Hi,
I've not personally heard any ASL amps, so my opinions on this matter may be worth less than face value :)
I do remember a few years back when the ASL gear, specifically that model, was "flavor of the month" on head-fi. The earlier versions had many users complaining about reliability issues, but these seem to have settled down with the MkIII. Of course, the enthusiasm for this amp has also long since died down and there has been little discussion for quite a while.

Since you're looking at tube amps, are you interested in a lush, seductive, tubey sound? I just spotted a used Audio Value RKV MkII on the head-fi FS forums (warning: I have no association to or knowledge of the seller, caveat emptor), for $575. I've previously owned the RKV, and lush/romantic describes its sound with the HD650 to a T. I really enjoyed this pairing; it's also great with the HD600. Probably the best lush & romantic sound you're going to get in this price range without throwing detail, accuracy, and dynamics totally out the window (RKV has super macro-dynamics; but micro-dynamics are average). Do note that you shouldn't use low impedance headphones with the RKV, but the HD650/HD600 are a perfect match. The RKV is actually a somewhat odd hybrid; op-amp voltage gain stage and OTL tube output stage (4x PLC85 tubes, typically used in TV sets IIRC). I wouldn't get caught up in the SET topology of the ASL; I've heard a very expensive SET headphone amp that wasn't impressive.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/icp-rkv-ii-amp-w-extra-tubes-301645/

Going on my biases and experiences, I would look hard at that RKV. Next in line for less money would be the PPA, M^3, and Gilmore I mentioned previously. All of these over the ASL. None of the battery powered portables are optimal with the HD650; solid AC power supplies are what's needed IMO. Good deals on NEW amps may not even exist these days, when compared to the value the used market offers :( Always avoid the current "flavor of the month" amps as the undeserved hype pushes prices and demand up artificially :) The amps I've recommended are all old dogs, but GOOD ones that are under-valued in the market.

Sorry to be late on this, but I just have to recommend the older Sony MDR V6. I've owned mine for over 20 years. They are not the kind you would want if you are into masking imperfections, such as with the Sennheiser. Every detail is highlighted, totally uncoloured, and they are not called studio monitors for nothing.

In the early 90s they were discontinued, but were so popular that they were brought back, and are still sold on the market, but not open market. In other words, you have to be either a professional, or in a group such as this to know about them.

The MDR-V6 is brutally honest, and will not be liked by everyone, but if you are into Exact reproduction, these are the ones for you. Plus, the price is hard to beat.

I challenge anyone to find a better studio monitor for the money. :thmbsp:

415BVED4YNL._SS500_.jpg

Here's another good deal on a used headphone amp. Eddie Current is run by a former engineer at Moth Audio, now specializing in headphone amps. I haven't heard this one, but I own their Zana Deux, which kicks ass. In my eyes they're one of the few manufacturers currently offering good engineering AND great sound for a reasonable price. This amp is SS, powered from a wall AC brick/wart and should drive any headphones, low or high impedance, with no problem:

http://www.head-case.org/audio_gear_for_sale/fs_ecss-t3337.0.html;msg104493;topicseen#new

Additionally I see that the RKV deal I listed earlier has dropped to $525. Great deal for beautiful lush sound with Sennheiser HD580/600/650 or AKG K1000 (again, the RKV will NOT drive low impedance phones without the optional impedanzer).

Both of these amps are currently not over-inflated from temporary hype, and represent great value :yes:

Here's another good deal on a used headphone amp. Eddie Current is run by a former engineer at Moth Audio, now specializing in headphone amps. I haven't heard this one, but I own their Zana Deux, which kicks ass. In my eyes they're one of the few manufacturers currently offering good engineering AND great sound for a reasonable price. This amp is SS, powered from a wall AC brick/wart and should drive any headphones, low or high impedance, with no problem:

http://www.head-case.org/audio_gear_for_sale/fs_ecss-t3337.0.html;msg104493;topicseen#new

Additionally I see that the RKV deal I listed earlier has dropped to $525. Great deal for beautiful lush sound with Sennheiser HD580/600/650 or AKG K1000 (again, the RKV will NOT drive low impedance phones without the optional impedanzer).

Both of these amps are currently not over-inflated from temporary hype, and represent great value :yes:

That looks intresting.... :scratch2:

Hey all,

I have a pair of Sony V900's and I have abused them for many years of nightclub DJ'ing and I still abuse them regularly with my home gear. I wouldn't trade them for anything else.

One side note, I hear a bit of talk about older Koss style headphones and I heard somewhere that they had a lifetime warranty and if you send them back to Koss, they honor the warranty and will fully rebuild your units and send them back to you. I have not verified this claim but some food for thought, FYI.

I find that an "interesting" site. It is populated by kids. I mean 15 to 20 year olds and their attitudes. There is a lot of good info but you have to sift through it. Take a look at the portable rigs these kids put together .They don't have home set ups like we did but put together multi component systems that are portable and expensive. They are looking for good sound but are going on a new path.

BTW Senns HD580 (new) which are vitually HD600 can be gotten on the bay for $170 from a good seller. Not me

Actually you're wrong, but right at the same time. Most of the crowd on there is older. By older I mean, more mature like 30-40 range. It's just that they ACT like kids on there. Which is funny, because it shows as the ones that do post like thier age suggests they should be posting, they're well respected. Funny how that works out huh? Most of the people on that site are bandwagon FOTM (Flavor of the month) bandwagoners who find any and any reason at all to flame or lynch people.

There are alot of kids on there, but like you said, it's hard to sift through all the garbage, because there are many older people posting like those kids....

I only have Sennheiser 202 HDs. I've had Grado SR60s and Sennheiser HD280 Pros but I ended up selling them on eBay for some cash. Grados were probably the best of the three, but the open design made listening on my iPod impossible. I liked the HD280 Pros, but they were too tight on my head, so I'm sticking with the $15 202s. I'd like a better pair, the 202s have a bit too much bass emphasis for my taste, although depending on the situation it can be beneficial, generally I'd rather it be a bit toned down. The Grados were by far the most detailed and crisp, but maybe too "bright" sometimes, still not a big deal. And the retro look of them is cool, but most 18 year olds don't think turntables are cool looking so there you go.

I just picked up an old pair. Pioneer SE-50. Perfect shape.

I love the sound and look. The big coil cable rocks also. Big white cups!

Another Grado fan, SR-225. But, like their cartridges, pick which you can afford and you won't be disappointed.

doesn't have a 1/4" plug in though, i prefer not to use the adapter.

I don't know if this matters, but the 1/4" adaptor is a screw on type and could be attached practically permanently (although I managed to lose my original adaptor during the minidisc years)

Back
Top Bottom