Headroom and why is it a good thing??

rockin1150

Not to sound ignorant here (but i guess i am) I have an amplifier that sates 6db of 'headroom', now, I'm told by my audio buddies it's a good thing and generally only found in larger numbers on the specs of higher end amplifiers. Anyone give me some insight as to how the 6db of headroom I have is helping the sound quality? I know my camaro had a very small amount of 'headroom' -he he :lmao:

Dynamic Headroom:
The ability of an audio device to respond to musical peaks. For example, an amplifier may only be capable of a sustained 100 watts, but may be able to achieve peaks of 200 watts for the fraction of a second required for an intense, quick sound. In this example the dynamic headroom would equal 3 db.

Headroom is necessary for the transient peaks requiring more power than the stated RMS rating. For example if you're playing Telarcs 1812 Overture at a room filling volume when the canon blasts occur your amp better be able to deliver more power instantaneously. :)

Mike

What amp do you have that has 6db of headroom? Thats a LOT of headroom. No, 3db is a LOT of headroom, 6db is a TON.

rockin1150 said:
Not to sound ignorant here (but i guess i am) I have an amplifier that sates 6db of 'headroom', now, I'm told by my audio buddies it's a good thing and generally only found in larger numbers on the specs of higher end amplifiers. Anyone give me some insight as to how the 6db of headroom I have is helping the sound quality? I know my camaro had a very small amount of 'headroom' -he he :lmao:
Im assuming your talking about a Proton amp.
They can make the claim of that much headroom
because of their DPD or dynamic power on demand.
They keep the initial amp rating on the conservative
side. 100wpc for the D1200 and 50 for the D1150.
Then they give the power supply the ability to
automatically shift to a higher rail voltage in the event
that the amp gets close to the verge of clipping. This will give
it the ability to put out much more wattage than its initial
rating hence its giving it a high headroom figure.

like proac said, audio headroom is a good thing. 3dB is a doubling of power. It's like haveing a 300HP 350ci V8 in your camero. You hardly would ever use so much power, but it's there when needed.

I see, that makes a lot of sense, because with my AR's @ 91db 1w/1m
according to the power level meters, I am pushing about 14 / 15 watts RMS and the house is about to fall apart, especially with lower bass notes, those 8" woofers never cease to amaze me. I would love to get my hands on some L300' JBL's, I love the efficiency of those JBL horns. :banana: I have been contemplating trying a Yamaha M- series amplifier with auto class 'A' :naughty: I bet they sound sweet! thanks for the insight... :thmbsp:

6db of headroom here. And from a lil' ol Nad 2200 -

At least thats what the manual states.

J

Got about an inch of headroom in my car with the driver's seat set to it's lowest level.

Means I don't get a sore neck when driving it.

:lmao:

A different take on "headroom"

Hmm,
Well in the case of the Proton, it seems like we almost have a Hitachi class "G" variant of sorts, also kind of similar to Carvers original magnetic field (just similar). These are OK with me, since the extra headroom is built into the design for that purpose. Like so many amp specs taken alone however, I have a little different spin on this, instead of headroom, in a SS amp, I think of this spec as "sag" or "droop" and I also think that high numbers in this spec are not always great taken alone... I'm just going to guess, but if You look to the insanely esoteric like Krell(and others), some of their designs would spec out close to 0 dB of headroom. Whatever the amps circuitry is capable of on a peak, if it cant sustain it indefinitely, my opinion is that the power supply is short on gas. OdB headroom to me in a SS amp, means that the supply does not sag at all, and that is a design goal in my book, but impossible to achieve without regulation, which is overkill for an amp. Conversely, one could build a conventional SS amp with a really whimpy power transformer, but tried to make up for it with a little extra filter capacitance, and You would end up with an amp that would measure some pretty tall headroom figures, but it wouldnt be one that I would necessarily want, and would in my estimation, sound pretty whimpy. If a conventional SS amp had a headroom figure much over 2dB, I would look into it's power output specs into lower impedance loads, and if it couldnt deliver substantially more power into, let's say a 4 ohm load, as compared to its output into 8 ohms, then I would not buy it - but that's just me. In the case of the super high end SS designs, what You'll find is close to perfect doubling of power as impedances half, This is the kind of headroom I look for, and make for amps that really have guts, and sound like it as well. They will all clip at some level, what if my 3dB reserve is good for 200msec, but my peak happens to require a 400msec "burst" ?? This is why I still believe the most meaningful and rigorous spec is the good ole RMS measured the way it used to be. That's a 'freaks take, give me SACK as opposed to headroom - all day. When I step on the gas, ("floor it man!") I want all the power I've got for the full 1/4 mile, not just when I come off the line, and then die. Music is very dynamic, but it always bothered me how these designs kind of guess at what the peak requirements should be, and have an upper rail that can "kick - in", but for how long, and how long does it take to recover, etc. I've heard some good things about the Proton DPD and the old Hitachi that I mentioned, and these types were built with extra peak power in addition to an RMS rating, but the peak has no real spec. For non-rail-switching designs, I'd be leary of large headroom specs.

Back
Top Bottom