Heads-Up about eBay Global Shipping and old gear

I'm not sure any of this is against the law, or for that matter, the rules but it certainly does not pass the smell-test.

btw; the new seller of my item has 491 listing active right now for either "tubes" or "tube amps". I bet I know where they got their stock to sell.
Welcome to the new "good business". confused-face_1f615_s.png

I bought a very rare Porsche many years ago that had been confiscated by US Customs. The German fellow that had it shipped to the US had not done the correct paper work so it was seized. The car sat in a warehouse for about five years collecting dust and forgotten. I was approached at the time to buy the car for parts, at the time I was parting out German cars instead of screwing around with audio.
The seller, owner of the warehouse, told me there was no way to get the car titled so it went really cheap, like the value of the wheels cheap.
I used the legal process instituted by my local county government to get a clear state title and tag. I had the car running in about three days and passed it on. Only after I wallowed in my success did it hit me how unfair it was for the poor fellow who had the car taken from him. It’s just an example of unfair business practices and laws. That warehouse was slap full of Skyline GTR’s both coupes and sedan models, turbo awd Nissan Pulsars, early EVO’s , Supras, Sylvia’s, you name it.

I ship GSP all the time.

Brazil bound vintage would get stopped.
Buyer gets refund, I keep proceeds.

I think Ebay dropped Brazil from GSP.
The have dropped Russia.

International laws are whacked. Much worse than local, state and federal US idiocy.

If you EVER cross the border into or from Canada, answer EVERY question with NO.
Trust me, I hit some BS once that was mind numbingly stupid.

One thing I’m finding out, Ebay GSP seems to screen out bad postal system countries. If there is no delivery confirmation, Ebay can not determine if the package arrived. So if foreign crooks claim non-delivery, they would need to eat it. I think they are starting to not like the taste.

I tell buyers that ask for direct ship because Ebay doesn’t support their country, that I can and will ship direct IF they pay by MO. I’m tired of Ebay fingering my money. So far that blows them away like a bad smell.

I’ve sent a lot of stuff out through GSP.
I continue to do so.
As long as I get paid, I don’t care where the stuff ends up.

Ebay or Pitney Bowes probably has a shill business selling the blocked stuff. To recoup costs of a busted sale.

Hey, if you spot your gear, buy it back and get it back and then file not-as-described. See if they will pay to ship it back. I’m thinking they will just refund it.

Well, an update: The item I sold on eBay that was refused shipment showed-up on eBay for sale again.

Same title
Same pictures
Same layout
SAME TEXT~!!!

Is it possible someone simply pilfered your original ad writeup and images? :idea:

I ship GSP all the time.

Brazil bound vintage would get stopped.
Buyer gets refund, I keep proceeds.

I think Ebay dropped Brazil from GSP.
The have dropped Russia.

Due to Brazil's prohibition on commercial import of used consumer goods, only new items are allowed to ship to Brazil via eBay's GSP.

Being an overseas ex-pat, GSP has just about killed eBay for me.

I will buy something located in the US (like an MR77) and then have it shipped to a shop for refurbishment. But that puts a burden on the shop to ship internationally.

Yeah, I sold a lot of tubes and shipped them all over the world. For some reason the ones to S. Korea were always confiscated. I even tried using different countries of origin on the bill (e.g. Telefunkens from Germany) but it didn't make a difference. No trouble shipping same to areas of Japan just over 100 miles away.

When I am not logged-in and search for "Completed Sales" for items like mine, I see my original sale that was blocked from shipping. When I click to get details about this item, I am told that "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.".

And what has eBay found for me?? I am taken to the sale page of my item relisted by the current seller. eBay has redirected my search to point to the newly listed item.

When I am logged-in, it takes me to my completed sale without redirecting.

That is nasty. Makes you wonder. And I found this post by searching "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you." Takes me from the McIntosh amplifier I was bidding on to a Topping DAC. Yeah, that'll work!

*** Pleas note *** This is not an eBay bitch thread - those are not wanted, or allowed on AK.

Why not, I wonder? Would they take over the site like some kind of ravenous sci-fi monster? Probably.

Me too.

I just sold a high-dollar LP to a Japanese buyer, and a few days ago after shipping it off to Erlanger I got one of the "restricted item/buyer will be refunded and you will keep the $$ but item will not be forwarded through or returned" notices. Will they throw the LP in the trash, or will they attempt to re-sell it? I cannot believe that eBay is in the business of eating multi-hundred-dollar items like mine on any sort of frequent basis.

Really strange.

A vinyl LP is a restricted item? Sorry... don't believe it. Vinyl collector in-residence at Pitney Bowes?

What this thread tells me is - don't ship via the eBay Global Shipping Program if I care at all about the item that I'm shipping.

I just sold a high-dollar LP to a Japanese buyer, and a few days ago after shipping it off to Erlanger I got one of the "restricted item/buyer will be refunded and you will keep the $$ but item will not be forwarded through or returned" notices. Will they throw the LP in the trash, or will they attempt to re-sell it? I cannot believe that eBay is in the business of eating multi-hundred-dollar items like mine on any sort of frequent basis.
eBay's Global Shipping Program is run by Pitney Bowes, who reserves the right to liquidate the item in that circumstance. "Liquidate" can mean anything from discarding the item to relisting it on eBay using your photos and description, as members of the Vintage Computer Forum exposed recently:

https://trixter.oldskool.org/2018/0...-do-not-use-the-ebay-global-shipping-program/

"If you sell rare, unique, or otherwise irreplaceable items on ebay, do not use eBay's Global Shipping Program. Doing so grants eBay's partners the right to effectively take your item and resell it without your knowledge."
(read the link above for more)

The thing is, you get paid as the seller and the buyer gets a refund, so who cares what happens to the item?

Back
Top Bottom