headset system for driving in a loud car

rmunson

Hi Group -
Here in Minnesota the winters are very long - we also need to drive with snow tires so the road noise is very loud inside our car --

Is there a way I could rig up a bluetooth headphone setup that allows me to hear the car radio but also have a mic setup where the passenger and driver could speak to one another via a mic on the headset?

Are there setups like this for motorcycle riders? something that allows for music and voice?

Reed

ok - I'll keep it limited to one earbud when driving - the setup would be nice for a passenger who could use a regular headset as well

I guess what I really need to do is use a small mixer -
  • audio from car stereo or bluetooth transmitter into mixer
  • mics into mixer
  • each channel has it's own volume control
  • mics could be switched open/closed either at the headset or on the mixer
  • sound coming out of the mixer to the headphones
  • benefit is you can continue to listen to music or bluetooth device and talk
so I'll devise a small mixer, send output into a small headphone amp that can support 2 or more pairs of headphones - it would be really cool if the headphone amp could have bluetooth out while the mics are connected to bluetooth in at the input of the mixer --

Reed;
What's the option of opting to better snow tires? like Michelin ICE. You probably have summer seasonal quiet tires. But just looking up the technology might be better to consider sound reduction materials under the carpets. Trunks are notorious for road noise and deadening the trunk first may cut out a lot of noise.
https://aquietrefuge.com/best-automotive-sound-deadening-materials/ (no afflilation)

I realize winter isn't the ideal time to do this but the trunk could be easily done short-time in a garage and I'm sure you hear an improvement and rear passengers will certainly notice it.

cool - that does look like a nice option!
I had never thought of that!
Thanks!

I'm going to start with a little audio mixer for two mics - as outlined in project 30 of this book:
https://www.americanradiohistory.co...el/103-Simple-Transistor-Projects-Kneitel.pdf

I'll send the output of the 2 mics into a little lm386 headphone amp --

Getting audio out from my car stereo might be more hassle than it's worth - if it involves taking apart the dash and all that jazz --

R

Back
Top Bottom