Headshell Sled ID - Dual?

sanlanman

This headshell sled came with a used cart body I bought. It has a side thumb wheel that slightly moves the white cartridge attachment point. Some internet searching indicates that it might be a Dual TK15, and possibly used in the Dual 1237 turntable. Can you Dual guys confirm the part number and tell me which 1200 series tables it was used in or can be used in?

Pics:

TIA

This headshell came with my 1228 to adjust the VTA when playing (S)ingle or (M)ultiple records unlike the 1219 & 1229 that have a M/S lever on the TT base.

I think there were a few more that used it too.

Dual 1218 used it too. The aging plastic hooks holding the springs to tension will break under a light breeze at this point.

Last edited:
I see the single/multi control wheel prodruding a good bit over the bottom rim, so I'd deem that a TK25, not a TK15.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dual 1218 used it to. The aging plastic hooks holding the springs to tension will break under a light breeze at this point.
TK-15, and yep the plastic is delicate. The hooks for holding the springs can be repaired but I haven't figured out how to fix the cam that changes the cartridge angle.

sm: Basically TK15 to TK25 is the same as TK14 to TK24. The TK14/15 carriers were a tad fatter/higher and came with older models, while the otherwise compatible, slimmer TK24/25 carriers came with newer models. Iirc, the 601 still came with a TK14, while the 1249 came with the TK24, so the change to the slimmer carrier versions should have been ca. 1978.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

sm: Well, as mentioned, the TK14 and TK24 as well as the TK15 and TK25 as such are compatible - so you can also use a TK25 instead of a TK15, if you don't mind the slightly different visual appearance.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Not to worry as there is a market for it if the S/M mechanism is functional.

Oh yes, the S/M wheel and shaft and the overall sled are in excellent shape. Must have come from a well cared for table that died and got dumped or stripped for parts. I wanted the cartridge that was mounted to it; have no use for the sled.

I have a boatload of these, only one still works. They are delicate as hell.
If they break, they can still be used. I ditch the springs, the little thumb wheel and camshaft, glue the white sliding thingy to the inside of the headshell. Got an MA 282e mounted up in one right now, playing tunes.

Hated that sled. Yes they break. Got it for the cartridge.
I'll give Dual props for trying to solve the single/multi play VTA issue, but like the dearing ring, execution left something to be desired.
One good thing is the spring-loaded plunger-type contacts on the back of the sled. Much more reliable than the bent strips like the early TK-14.

Back
Top Bottom