Health and Wellness

So it’s a new year. Like most folks, I got a little pudgy with all the extra good eats. Now it’s back to the regular life.

I turned 60 recently and it’s more important now than ever to stay healthy. I have friends older and much younger who are struggling with a myriad of aches and pains. Both physically and or mentally. Taking crazy amounts of medication, having surgeries, worrying about medical insurance and suffering every day and night. It really doesn’t have to be like that.

I know most of you are smart enough to know what to do, but you don’t do it. Some need guidance and some need motivation. Some need to just step it up a bit. If you want to feel great, have fun and a long fulfilling life, you have to start now. It’s easier than you think.

Intro

LESSON 1: Yin Yoga (Restorative Yoga)
This form of yoga is super easy and super relaxing. Anyone can do it. BUT most of your will be very stiff from years of inactivity. Start slow and move slow! DO NOT push your self. Let your body weight and gravity do the work. Don't worry if your pose doesn't look like the teacher. Most won't even come close. Just get into the pose and gently hold it. Calm you're breathing.

I stress do not push yourself. I have two younger friends in really good shape. Tried to be macho in class, over do it and hurt themselves. You should feel a stretch. If you're feeling pain back off.

Follow the teacher's pace. I watched it and it's very good. The goal is to surrender and relax. Your body and mind will slowly unwind. People have dozed off in class. I've caught myself starting to snore. Try doing this 3 times a week to start.

Benefits of Yoga
After a couple weeks you will feel benefits of Yin Yoga. As you practice for awhile and get into more strenuous forms of yoga. You'll find increase in flexibility, strength, toned muscles, weight loss, increased blood flow which in turn helps you to sleep better and have a better sex life. Oh and increased blood flow will make music sound better. It will also alleviate number of health issues and get you off medication. It's worked for me and many others. But it doesn't happen over night.

Best of health!

Won't be long now, you'll want to familiarize yourself with "chair yoga" ... ya old fart ... <G>

Got exposed to that at my amputee support group and it's handy for those "special times" when there's not a lot of options. Just had some what's called "revision surgery" to remove spurs and reshape the residual limb, so I'm what they call "non weight bearing" until I get cleared to wear my prosthetic again. I've got a DVD with exercise routines loaded up and ready to go for when I'm just sitting there going crazy from just sitting there ...

Yoga References
Finding the right class and the right instructor is essential. It's become like collecting vinyl. Lots of inexperienced people are doing it.

There are a lot of free YouTube videos. I can't review them all, but this instructor is good. No affiliation.
There are many yoga apps available. I use Yoga Studio when I can't go to a class or traveling. It's excellent. It was a one time charge, they went to a monthly subscription fee. They have all levels, different durations and meditation classes. Short 10 minute relaxing to grueling, sweating 60 minute classes. You can even customize and create your own.

Won't be long now, you'll want to familiarize yourself with "chair yoga" ... ya old fart ... <G>

Got exposed to that at my amputee support group and it's handy for those "special times" when there's not a lot of options. Just had some what's called "revision surgery" to remove spurs and reshape the residual limb, so I'm what they call "non weight bearing" until I get cleared to wear my prosthetic again. I've got a DVD with exercise routines loaded up and ready to go for when I'm just sitting there going crazy from just sitting there ...

Thanks, that is a great reference! I'll cover other topics that will hopefully help you and others be their best. In the mean time if there is anything I can do, let me know. Hope you recover soon!

Be well!

Well ... for starters, you can toss me a beer! <G>

I've been using a DVD by Michele Fife, called SIT, Seated Yoga. I figure she gets bonus points for being an amputee herself. "Free" if you've got Amazon Prime. A lot of it's beyond me right now, but I can still do most of the stretches to keep loose and keep tone. Should make recovery a lot easier once I'm back on my foot ... er ... feet ...

Last edited:
Well ... for starters, you can toss me a beer! <G>

I've been using a DVD by Michele Fife, called SIT, Seated Yoga. I figure she gets bonus points for being an amputee herself. "Free" if you've got Amazon Prime. A lot of it's beyond me right now, but I can still do most of the stretches to keep loose and keep tone. Should make recovery a lot easier once I'm back on my foot ... er ... feet ...

Having a healthy attitude and you're half way there. As for the beer, you're going to have to meet me half way.

Cheers!

Anyone one can chip in! What are you folks going to do for a healthier 2019?

Do you have a goal in mind? Like loosing some weight, eating healthier. Running, exercise, swimming, biking?

Do you have a goal in mind? Like loosing some weight, eating healthier. Running, exercise, swimming, biking?
I think most health issues(disease) stem from inflammation caused by eating inflammatory inducing foods.
Eat well, heal and then do Yoga;)
What-Is-Core-Power-Yoga.jpg=w768

I think most health issues(disease) stem from inflammation caused by eating inflammatory inducing foods.
Eat well, heal and then do Yoga;)
What-Is-Core-Power-Yoga.jpg=w768

I agree. There is a lot of poison in processed food. Even in organic food, that is often falsely labeled. Roundup and other chemicals finding its way through the food chain into children's cereal and other foods. Sugar, sodium, additives, food coloring, preservatives, the list goes on. We need to minimize the intake of crap. It doesn't mean you have to completely stop eating your favorite foods. Just have a balance.

You can eat well, do yoga and heal all at the same time.

My Dr told me that most medical problems can be eliminated by: 1-Losing weight, 2-Stop Smoking, 3-Eat a proper diet, 4-Excercise.

Exactly! You loose weight, your body doesn't have to work so hard. It usually means you're eating healthier, less fat, less high carbs and sugars.

Your body is an incredible machine. Like a car, if you don't change the oil, filters, use crap gas, it's not going to perform well or last long.

For 2019 I have a goal of running 6 half marathons. I got the running “bug” 12 years ago after coronary double bypass, losing 70 pounds, and going through cardiac rehab. I have run 37 half marathons since then, my long term goal is 100. Oh yeah, I’m soon to be 64. I think yoga will help me get there.

Lots of things we can do to put off the inevitable. Something like 80k deaths a year from alcohol abuse fer instance.

Best way to stay healthy - don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat, and stay away from doctor's offices where you're likely to be exposed to a crazy assortment of bugs that are just waiting for new victims ...

For 2019 I have a goal of running 6 half marathons. I got the running “bug” 12 years ago after coronary double bypass, losing 70 pounds, and going through cardiac rehab. I have run 37 half marathons since then, my long term goal is 100. Oh yeah, I’m soon to be 64. I think yoga will help me get there.

Freakin' awesome! I know from my running, that yoga has kept the muscles and connective tissues from tightening up. It has really helped my knees and kept my times decent.

Good luck to your 100! Please share any training or nutritional regiment that you may help others. Being healthy and running is like a drug. The endorphins!

Nice Thread!

I just turned 57 last week and although I am on zero medication, I have the aches and pains of arthritis and residuals from several surgeries from work related injuries.

I plan to take a closer look at that 1st video because Stretching is something I need to keep up with.

We eat pretty well. Have not had fast food for over 20 years. Able to maintain my weight between 162 and 167 for many years. (I am 5'9")

One thing that was left out of the list of things to be healthy is Stress. You can eat well and exercise, but if you are loaded with stress, shit will happen. Stress is a big factor in overall health and it may be my biggest demon. It's not always obvious stressors too. My job gives me lots of hidden stress as well as my siblings and family issues. My wife became a Meditation Instructor so we do Meditate and lots of Breath Work. We go to Iscolation Floats several times a year. (full sensory deprivation while floating in a ton of Epsom salts, Magnesium, which the body loses lots of).

We hike, snow shoe, cross country ski when we can along with in-line skate.

Cheers and Happy New Life

Lots of things we can do to put off the inevitable. Something like 80k deaths a year from alcohol abuse fer instance.

Best way to stay healthy - don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat, and stay away from doctor's offices where you're likely to be exposed to a crazy assortment of bugs that are just waiting for new victims ...

Definitely don't smoke. An occasionally drink is ok and studies say it may be good. A dear friend died from liver and kidney failure last year from too much drinking.

Go to the doctor if something isn't right! Men tend to not visit out of stubbornness. My younger brother died 1 1/2 years ago of a heart attack, because he wouldn't get a check up.

I miss these guys.

Been there - done that. I didn't go for 10 years, and only went when my dentist refused to treat me due to high blood pressure. Went to the doc, and just to make up for lost time, they also gave me high cholesterol and diabetes II ... they also purged all my previous medical records, probably thinking I'd gone and died or something and forgot to tell them ... grumble mumble gripe. ;-}

PS - the amputation mentioned earlier had nothing to do with the diabetes thing - that was courtesy of a vehicle accident. So, like ... add "don't drive" to the list if you want to stay healthy.

Nice Thread!

I just turned 57 last week and although I am on zero medication, I have the aches and pains of arthritis and residuals from several surgeries from work related injuries.

I plan to take a closer look at that 1st video because Stretching is something I need to keep up with.

We eat pretty well. Have not had fast food for over 20 years. Able to maintain my weight between 162 and 167 for many years. (I am 5'9")

One thing that was left out of the list of things to be healthy is Stress. You can eat well and exercise, but if you are loaded with stress, shit will happen. Stress is a big factor in overall health and it may be my biggest demon. It's not always obvious stressors too. My job gives me lots of hidden stress as well as my siblings and family issues. My wife became a Meditation Instructor so we do Meditate and lots of Breath Work. We go to Iscolation Floats several times a year. (full sensory deprivation while floating in a ton of Epsom salts, Magnesium, which the body loses lots of).

We hike, snow shoe, cross country ski when we can along with in-line skate.

Cheers and Happy New Life

You're doing it right!

I believe stretching/yoga helps with arthritis. By loosening up tight fascia and connective tissue. Keeping the joins from getting compressed. While not arthritis, the reason why I started yoga was the immense back pains from sitting to long at work, which created bad posture and compressed my back. Been back pain free for 10 years.

Thanks for mentioning stress. It is a big factor in our lives. I know a woman that was so stressed out, her hair started falling out. Once the stress was gone, it stopped and started coming back. Stress changes our state of mind and our bodies.

Meditation is great. Something I've done for decades, since I first started martial arts. It helps to let go, to be in the moment and clear your mind. It's like a reboot.

Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

Been there - done that. I didn't go for 10 years, and only went when my dentist refused to treat me due to high blood pressure. Went to the doc, and just to make up for lost time, they also gave me high cholesterol and diabetes II ... they also purged all my previous medical records, probably thinking I'd gone and died or something and forgot to tell them ... grumble mumble gripe. ;-}

PS - the amputation mentioned earlier had nothing to do with the diabetes thing - that was courtesy of a vehicle accident. So, like ... add "don't drive" to the list if you want to stay healthy.

Living a good life also means have a good outlook. I'm, not a doctor of any kind. Far from it. I'm an artist, but I am very observant. Especially when it comes to cause and effect.

Life throws you a lot of obstacles and challenges. Making those hurdles, makes you stronger and more appreciate of being alive.

Be happy!

Back
Top Bottom