Heard some fun new speakers: Zu Druid Mk 5's

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Was in my fav local audio store today, and walked into a listening room to have a peak at a Clearaudio TT. However, as soon as I walked into the room, the music that I heard stopped my straight in my tracks. Accoustic guitar being played, but sounding like guitar, not a recording of a guitar. Had to sit and have a listen. Wife came in the room and was blown away by the sound. She with the perfect pitch could not believe how natural sounding they were.
Threw on a record and had a listen. Amazing. Just so natural, with incredible dynamics and speed. Totally effortless performance. Unlike a lot of horns I have heard, no hardness to the highs.
Ran out of time today, and a 10 minute demo in an unfamiliar room with unfamiliar equipment and music is certainly not the way to make any final decisions. However, I was certainly impressed enough and intrigued enough that I arranged for a decent demo in the new year with some SET power driving them.

Sounds like you had fun. :thmbsp: Was the store a chain? I might have to give these a listen if there's any around here. :yes:

Sounds like they are refining (defining?) their product. Heard an early version of the Druids many years ago which had a noticeable top end tilt and not much bass. Good to hear they now have a balanced presentation. Zu has a unique and attractive product line IMO.

Interesting Erik, let us know what you think after a good listen.

I've heard a few of the Zu models in show conditions which may not give them a fair shot but they where decidedly not to my tastes.

Interesting Erik, let us know what you think after a good listen.

I've heard a few of the Zu models in show conditions which may not give them a fair shot but they where decidedly not to my tastes.

Actually Bill, you came to mind as soon as I listened to them. I figured you would dig on these. Same "type" of sound that we both liked with the Tannoys: That indescribable "realness" of the instruments. All your fault for teaching me about high sensitivity speakers and low power amps anyway! :)

What they did tell me tho was that they were picky as hell on setup, what drives them, cabling, etc. Moreso than any speaker they had. Knowing your tastes and knowing what I (briefly) heard, I can't imagine you wouldn't like them. Makes me wonder what type of setups you heard.

Well, like I eluded too, I'm a little surprised by your initial impressions because when I say 'not to my tastes' I'm being as kind as I can muster. :)

I'll fill you in on the set-ups I heard off-line but they where used in the kinds of systems I know I like with the right speakers, actually, they led me to a pretty negative impression of an amp I suspect I'd love on the 604's.

System mix may explain everything but after hearing them a few times, I'd be very surprised if Zu's ever did it for me. Maybe an extreme case of personal preference here and I've certainly experienced this before where I just don't 'get along' with audio that others love.

Since you certainly know the kind of sound I like and if you find some of those qualities in these I should give them another listen (but I won't be expecting a paradigm shift or anything :) ).

Are the MK5's new? I checked ZU's website only to find MK4's. I had researched the Druid's before I bought my Gallos's but was told they could break up at higher volumes.

I have their Birth power cords and love them with some equipment but with some gear they seem to impede the sound but with other gear they simply quiet the noise floor.

I traded emails with ZU when I was looking at their speakers and found them to be really honest and easy to talk to.

I sold my Gallo's and would really be interested in some new ZU gear. But from what I saw on their website they're still pricey. Definition MK2's at $11,000/the Druid MK4's at $3400 and their Presence speakers TBA.

I'll keep watching...........R1

Wow
Amazing to read how divisive these things are. Awesome. Must be great speakers if people respond so powerfully to them!
Will definitely update everyone when I get a chance for a long term listen.

Adam is one of the nicest in the industry you will meet. Call or write him with any questions.

They're speakers are polarizing for sure. One thing I will say is they do not even come close to breaking up at louder levels. Spent a lot of time listening to the new speakers at RMAF.

Uh, Erik...this isn't you looking for the acoustic guitar player, is it?:scratch2:

I'd love to give 'em a listen. From what I've read online (Stereophile had a positive review on the Zu DL-103 (repackaged Denon) MC cartridge, but that's another story), the Druids would appear to be a great match with my 300B SET amp/6SN7 linestage pre.

I'll be looking forward to your future report on them with SET gear.:yes:

Attachments

• Zu gallery-21.jpg
    Zu gallery-21.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 60
Nope! Not me! :)
Can't believe it, but the wifey has mentioned these speakers every day since we were there. Might end up with a pair whether I want them or not! :)

Alright! You can leverage this purchase to your distinct advantage.

"But, dear, we got the Zu Druids that you wanted so much. I just want to get an Aries turntable and a Zyx cartridge, so that they sound their very best. For YOU."

I am also a bit surprised by such a positive review. Perhaps, they did a lot to improve them over the various iterations. This might be a little more blunt than Bill's review, but they easily sit atop my list of the worst highend speakers I have ever listened to. At the fest 2 years ago, the only thing that stood out as significantly worse were the Druids playing along with the Zu subwoofer. While I and others left as quickly as they walked in, there were a group of 4-5 guys who couldn't get enough. Naturally, if what they say is true about setup/components, the AKfest might have not been a good chance to make a good assessment. I will say it was negative enough that I don't know I could give them a fair chance.

Back
Top Bottom