Hearing a song brings back a memory for me.

fredcohiba

I just heard a song by the group America that I hadn't heard in ages. It brought up a memory long locked away.
I know smells trigger memories and I know music does also, but this one came back in vivid technicolor.
In 1974 or 75, that is unknown, I was in high school and was an AV guy and the kid who worked on older kid's car's audio systems. I wasn't quite old enough to drive then but my buddies had cars and jobs and were upgrading the stock AM radios in their cars with then, 8-track players or cassettes.
I remember installing an under dash Pioneer super tuner with 8 track for one of my buddies. It was a 1963 or so Dodge Dart. Bright yellow and it had a push button transmission - pretty cool for its day. Anyway, Mike owned the car, hard work landscaping over the summer and he bought this relic with an AM radio.
Mike used to take four or five of us back and forth to school in this his senior year. We complained about the lack of a proper stereo and we each pitched in $10 bucks or so and he put in the rest to buy the unit but only if I put it in for him. A no brainier.
I don't recall how we got the speakers installed or if they were boxes we mounted on the rear shelf. I do remember laying under the dash getting the last wire or so connected and Mike sitting in the driver's seat anxiously awaiting power up. I said go, and he hit the switch and Americas song "Only in your heart" came to life. It was pure magic. The smile on his face was priceless and I have not thought of that day in forever - until I heard the song this morning.
We had many happy days going to and from school after that albeit maybe a day or two of supposedly going to school only to go and shoot pool or see a movie.

I had the same type of reaction when I watched "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and heard Cat Stevens "Father & Son". When I was in high school I'd drop an LP side on and worked on plastic models. That song brought back memories of building an Aurora "Land of the Giants" space ship.

Reading this brought back to me my dodge polara,file picture here.
fl0116-229790_1@2x.jpg

For some reason, "I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home" by Grand Funk Railroad always brings me back to my Air Force days in 1970 hanging out at the base swimming pool.

"Tulsa Time" by Don Williams takes me back to circa 1981 on the way to school in my parent's brand new Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

The soundtrack to our lives...it’ll take you there. That’s the best part of the music and using headphones...escape from what ever is bothering you by taking part in memories.

What a day for a daydream....

Yea, several songs do that for me. The clocks on the DSOTM compilation takes me back to when I was a newly wed listening to it at a neighbors apartment. The very first time I saw an RTR I think an Akai & oh the sound.

Rome

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom