Heartbroken - Crestfallen - Marantz 2252B arrived damaged!

Rivieraranch

The Marantz 2252B I bought from ebay arrived with some damage. It was otherwise in mint condition. I am devastated.

What is the best, safest way to pack these, so I can insist on it in the future?

Attachments

• damage8.jpg
    damage8.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 267
oh man...sorry to hear about your Marantz. So what kind of damage?

Double boxing and re-inforcing the corners with styrofoam helps greatly. Bubble wrap is good for shock absorption but will puncture on sharp edges. Do a search on the topic there you will find more detailed info.

Hope the damage is repairable.

I've bought several Marantz receivers off of eBay and I've never had one come in with visible damage. So I've been lucky from that perspective.

BUT...most of them were NOT AS DESCRIBED. Most of them were dirty, some scratched, some had one channel out, almost all of them had at least one or two lights out and on it goes.

Speakers have been my downfall. Just about every speaker I've ever purchased has come in with damaged corners. Very discouraging.

Anyhow, I feel for you and hope you can fix the danage.

My 2245 came through unscathed. The seller did one heck of a job. It was wrapped with huge bubblewrap that he went around the entire unit more than six or seven times. Then, in a huge double heavy cardboard box, massive amounts of packing peanuts. I think the size and the amount of peanuts really did the trick, but I'm glad the bubble wrap was there also.

In the future, just do a local search on ebay (within 25 miles or so,) and ask seller if you can pick it up yourself. Shipping problem solved.

Good luck, and i hope you don't have to mail it to the repair service.

Regards, Bob

One layer of bubble wrap? You are very lucky that the bent corner is all the damage your receiver suffered.

Over the years, I have unpacked maybe two dozen pieces of gear, from eBay, or purchased from AKers. None of them had so much as a scratch in shipping damage. ALL of them used copious amounts of packing material. Large bubble, minimum of SIX layers; two cartons, with foam in between.

If you check AK's Packing and Shipping forum, you will find a tutorial on packing heavy gear, conducted by Wardsweb. It's not the only method that works, but it's a good one. merrylander uses peanuts to fill in the voids, but he bags the nasty little buggers, in cylindrical plastic bags, so that the peanuts don't find their way inside the gear. Also very effective.

If you are very careful, you can use a flat jawed adjustable wrench on the bent corner. Fold some carboard, a business card will do, around the faceplate and adjust the jaws tightly over the cornet at the diagonal of the corner. Pull slowly in the outward direction. Don't overdo it as the faceplate material will sometimes create a wrinkle pattern where the bend is.

Rob

I feel your pain.:thumbsdn:

Rob's idea sounds good.

Perhaps briefly heating the edge with a hairdryer will help soften things up a bit.

I've never tried it, so YMMV.

alwayslooking said:
More importantly, who was the seller?

The seller is not one who routinely sells Marantz equipment so it is not worth mentioning. It turns out that this unit was his personal receiver and it was very near mint, just as described. The seller filed a damage claim with Fed Ex and they picked up the package last night. I don't have the time and inclination to try and fix this, plus I don't want the heartache of perhaps discovering that the pots were damaged or something else popped out of joint inside.

You will be fortunate to see a check or your receiver again!!
Fed Ex has had a receiver of mine for over a year, and I have heard nothing.
Waste of time to call them, because nobody knows anything about it.

Heavy single outer box lined with solid foam or equivalent (double boxes are good too, but I learned my best packing ideas from Merrylander and Yamaha B-2). Wrap the component in a sealed plastic (anti-static) bag; add a couple of wrapped layers of bubble-wrap around the longitudinal perimeter; secure the corners in some kind of foam corners (expanded polyethylene or dense urethane foam); protect large knobs or delicate faceplates. Within the external foam cocoon the aforementioned stuff, wrap further in soft foam or more loose bubble wrap (NO LOOSE PEANUTS!!). When the box is wrapped up everything should be secure and able to sustain some movement and rough treatment that you KNOW it will get. You should hear NO SHIFTING inside the box and no rattles--if you do, start over This all USUALLY works. There's also a GREAT Packing and Shipping Thread here at AK with photos.

Don't be quick to blame the shippers (some folks are rough, some good, but there are a lot of "robots" within the distribution facilities). The sellers and CRAPPY packers are REALLY to blame.

morgan said:
You will be fortunate to see a check or your receiver again!!
Fed Ex has had a receiver of mine for over a year, and I have heard nothing.
Waste of time to call them, because nobody knows anything about it.

There must be something else you could do.

Rivieraranch said:
The Marantz 2252B I bought from ebay arrived with some damage. It was otherwise in mint condition. I am devastated.

What is the best, safest way to pack these, so I can insist on it in the future?

If the only damage as the slight bend in the faceplate shown in the photo....that's a really easy fix.

I've had my machine-shop guy press them out a few times. Usually they end up pretty decent.

Packing

I mentioned this before, but I buy Dell computers for work, and they ship them in really nice styrofoam halves, which fits real well on a receiver. You can bubble wrap the receiver, put it into the sytrofoam halves, and it protects the face and the knobs, and then put it into a large garbage bag. Use the Dell box also, and cushion the bottom with peanuts and or newspapers. Put the receiver into the box, and here is the next nice trick, because Dell has a piece of cardboard that can fit over that, and then you can fill the top of that with newspapers, ano or peanuts. Very secure packing, and I haven't lost one yet.

I bought a Teac X-1000 off the bay, and the seller put it into a box with packing peanuts. It came destroyed. The seller then said to me, you should have bought the insurance. I told him, the insurance doesn't save my butt, it saves yours, you buy it if you think it needs it. I always pay with paypal with my credit card. I got my money back. UPS took the junk away, but not before I pointed out to them the poor packing.:nono:

merrylander said:
If you are very careful, you can use a flat jawed adjustable wrench on the bent corner. Fold some carboard, a business card will do, around the faceplate and adjust the jaws tightly over the cornet at the diagonal of the corner. Pull slowly in the outward direction. Don't overdo it as the faceplate material will sometimes create a wrinkle pattern where the bend is.

Rob

You could also take the faceplate off & try to straighten it in a vise.

Back
Top Bottom