Heath-Altec Legato

Dual Altec 416 type woofers, 511 horn with 802 driver.

These are the speakers that Seeburg DDS1's wish they could be.:yes:

I think he actually had AS-21's, the smaller version with dual 12 inch 414 woofers and 806 on 811 horn. We've discussed them, and their "siblings" the Altec 9844 monitor and the 838 Carmel in the past. He could also have had Legato's, but i think we'd have seen and heard more about them. I have a feeling that Legato's are a bit on the rare side.

To my knowledge, Altec never produced a dual 15 equipped home speaker other than the 820/821 all horn corner speaker.

I admit to prefering the look of the AS-21 "Legato Compact". Classy stuff.

Moderation note: Edited quoted offer to sell out. (Rich P)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are special alright, very special. Altec never made an equivalent design. Their designs had one 15" woofer with the 511 Horn either in a ported box or a bass reflex. There were two woofer designs, but they used the 811 horn and two 414's. Carmel. Carmels rolled off just above 30 hz quite severely as they were ported. The bass was soft and resonant and why I changed to Symphony by Bozak. I also preferred the line array as it gave the definition of a horn with out the honking. Oh I admit I may have lost 3 db in over all dynamic range, but that was not a problem in my small apartment. I ended up using 2 240's in mono driving the speakers.

Once upon a time I had some Altec 19's but I didn't care for the sound of them. Haven't listened to these yet

If you didn't like the Model 19, it's almost guaranteed you wouldn't like the AS 21, which didn't do it for me either. Sold mine to a man from CO who drove all the way in to pick them up. Said he planned on using them with a pair of 3 watt SET amplifiers which should work just fine.

I wouldn't mind hearing the big boy HH-1-C though. Never was an Altec variant of that model of which I'm aware.

Back in the day I was a AK Subscriber but not doing much these days. Is Strawman still around?

I don't have time to sell just now. Perhaps in spring. Happy holidays to all

From the link:

"Here, in the Legato Speaker System, is a nearest thing to perfection in reproduced sound."

Modern marketing would omit "a nearest thing to", and claim perfection. See how far we've come? :rolleyes:

From the link:
Take a look at Detroit CL, cabinets cleaned up OK
Listening to them now and there are no issues with the components.
"Here, in the Legato Speaker System, is a nearest thing to perfection in reproduced sound."

Modern marketing would omit "a nearest thing to", and claim perfection. See how far we've come? :rolleyes:

Glad this ten year old thread was resurrected. I'd never seen this model before.

I'm just curious where they came up with these frequency response numbers:

Specifications—Frequency Response... ± 5 db, 25 to 20,000 cps. Cross-over Frequencies... 500 cps. Power rating... 50 watts program material. Nominal Impedance... 16 ohms. Cabinet Type...Modified infinite baffle. Cabinet Dimensions... 41" long x 22¾" deep x 34" high. Speakers... 2—15" Altec low frequency drivers. 1—Altec high frequency driver with special horn. Magnet weights...Low frequency drivers—2.4 pounds each. High frequency driver—1.2 pounds. Divider Network... M derived (M = .6)—Parallel filter type.

"+/- 5db...to 20,000 cps" ????????? No way, Jose.

Regardless, I wish we had more information on that cabinet construction and specifics on the crossover network. What does "Divider Network... M derived (M = .6)" mean? Did they use something different from the standard 500Hz xover of the time? I need some educating. Bowtie????

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom