Heathkit AA-151 Cleanup

Kilgannon

So my dad and I were cleaning out his garage and came across his old Heathkit. He wants me to sell it but before I try to post it up anywhere I want to open it up and clean some of the dust and grime that has inevitably collected inside but seeming as I've never done this before, I was hoping to get some tips and advice on the best way to go about this without damaging anything. TIA for any information!

So it's not as valuable as you thought, but there is still some value there. Maybe pull the transformers out, test them, and sell them separately as a set. Someone will buy them.

The output transformers in these units are very good, possibly some of the best ultra-linear EL84 transformers available (right up there with the Dynaco EL84 UL transformers).

I'm just going to clean up the outside, put it back together, and put it up for sale. We aren't really concerned about getting a ton of money for it, just don't want to leave it sitting to gather dust and corrosion anymore

That will clean up, just be careful of the faceplate, that's what you're gonna be looking at after you find out how good it sounds. I rebuilt one in 1980, took it to a friends' house where he had Korner Horns and an SX1250, (Klipsch and Pioneer). He never hooked up the 1250 again and wouldn't let me leave with the 151 until I got him some tube equipment.

I had a Heathkit AA-151 as my first stereo tube amplifier (had built a mono 60FX5 amp for a science fair project not long before) when I was taking electronics in high school. It had spent several years in someone's garden shed, with the 'ugly basketball orange' case looking very dirty and with scratched-up chrome trim on the front. I actually thought it was a PA amp at first, at least until I noticed the lack of microphone inputs. :oops:

Once I figured out that it was meant as a hi-fi amplifier, I hooked up a turntable and a pair of speakers that I found around the shop, powered it up (didn't think to use a Variac, and got lucky), and was impressed by what I heard. After I graduated, the AA-151 headed home with me to become the basis of my bedroom stereo system. I still have it, and plan to give it a proper restoration at some point. I hate hearing about them getting parted out for their transformers; they sound quite nice as they are, IMO. :)
-Adam

I did a Fisher KX-100 integrated tube amp last year. It was much worse than the OP’s Heathkit. It’s my favorite and in rotation now. The chassis and transformers were coated with rust. I did the work to clean it up, fully restore it, did some mods, and covered up the chassis with a beautiful wood case. I was lucky - the face was not harmed. It’s beautiful.

I was encouraged by the guys on the Fisher forum to do it as a survivor and it turned out great. Now I’m doing the matching tuner.

I had one of those when I was a teenager. I stupidly threw it away when I bought a new receiver. :(
I still kick myself in the A** everytime I think about it.

I say sell it as is. Don't clean nutt'in.

Last edited:
I cleaned up the exterior without messing anything up and I'm not experienced enough to start restoring it completely. How much would it be worth in this condition? Not trying to over charge anybody but I also don't want to get ripped off either....got some speakers here too

Attachments

• 15344669453741551627243.jpg
    15344669453741551627243.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom