heathkit sa-2 received from scott1019 smoked my blu ray and tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
I don't think you did at all.. The interesting development seems to be the amp has allegedly been checked out as OK.

One thing we don't know is to what were the cables still connected when they touched the radiator and arced?

Dunno about y'all, but as best I recall I virtually always put fingers/hand on the gear and fingers/hand on the cable plug when disconnecting. If the chassis was hot and you pulled those RCA plugs if grounded somewhere else though the other equipment, you'd think you'd have been knocked on your arse...or at least received a good jolt.

A hot chassis does not necessarily shock a person if they are standing on a wood floor or carpet. One hand would have to touch a grounded item and other hand touch a hot chassis.

The size of the arc and subsequent damage is from a high current fault in the many ampere range. 120 volts AC would generate that much damage. The B+ at the preamp tubes running to the input jacks could not make that amount of damage due to plate resistors would current limit to a few milliamperes.

Perhaps this discussion should be let alone at this time.

as I posted, quite clearly, the rca cable that arced was attached to the aux input on the heathkit. I pulled the cables from the smoking panasonic blu ray. I was wearing rubber soled shoes and was standing on maple floors. No way that amp checked out ok. Any chance of that amp being checked out by an impartial tech are long gone. Additionally, the circuit it was connected to is fine, I've been running a dynaco st70 plugged into the same power strip as well as a stromberg carlson console amp and amazingly enough, neither of them have hot chassis...

As far as how this deal went, all I can say is caveat emptor and that I should have listened to the warning I got from a site moderator. Absolutely zero effort to make this right was attempted by the seller and I didn't receive a response from the builder of the amp for 5 days after I sent a question asking what could have caused it. The only reason I didn't take a bigger loss was that I was able to reroute the preamp that I was trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom