Heavier counterweight for Realistic?

waxonly

Greetings, guys/gals!
Long time listener, first time caller here. Hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.:)

My question is in regard to a Realistic Lab-430.
Paired with a MCS 3248 it has served it's purpose (and budget- huge emphasis here) for me for a few years now. Nothing special, but sounds great with an AT-110e cart/stylus IMO.

Anyway, to the table. The counterweight seems to be just a bit too bar back for my comfort. I can hear it touching the table upon return. I have it set at 1.25 as AT recommends 1-2g.

Any ideas as far as heavier counterweights that I may be able to use for the 430? Any input is greatly appreciated. This community has been amazing and extremely informative.:bowdown:

Thanks.

Welcome to AK. :)

The back end of the tonearm might be threaded for an auxiliary weight. I can't find a manual for the exact model but it's easy to take a look and see if it is threaded. If so, you might be able to find a suitable weight or small bolt that will add weight.

However, you could track higher than 1.25. I generally try to track at the middle or higher end of a stated weight range. A little more won't harm your records and will reduce likelihood of skipping or mistracking, such as on warps, which is more harmful than another 1/2 gram.

Last edited:
Greetings, guys/gals!
Long time listener, first time caller here. Hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.:)

My question is in regard to a Realistic Lab-430.
Paired with a MCS 3248 it has served it's purpose (and budget- huge emphasis here) for me for a few years now. Nothing special, but sounds great with an AT-110e cart/stylus IMO.

Anyway, to the table. The counterweight seems to be just a bit too bar back for my comfort. I can hear it touching the table upon return. I have it set at 1.25 as AT recommends 1-2g.

Any ideas as far as heavier counterweights that I may be able to use for the 430? Any input is greatly appreciated. This community has been amazing and extremely informative.:bowdown:

Thanks.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

If possible, please post some close up pictures of the headshell with the cartridge in place, also some of the tone arm with the counter balance weight in operational condition.

There is something amiss, no clue as to what it may be at this point. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom