Heaviest speaker find so far....

All this talk of get you one of these, they weigh more, why? The title clearly says Heaviest speaker find so far.... When you consider the word find, assuming the OP found these available somewhere and acquired them. Kinda leaves the Magico speakers, all of them, out of this discussion because they are neither vintage nor cheap so an AK wouldn't be the first person I would think would Find them. Same with all the other speakers, but we do have a find on the WAMM and the story of using the fork lift to move them. So the OP does have some heavier speakers to aspire to. Good Luck in your search.

I like them! They look very well built. Curious about that offset tweeter.

Not offset. Just an oval shaped plastic cap. The driver sits in a standard round hole. Think "035ti". Exactly the same except just a tad smaller.

Fellas, this isn't about the heaviest speakers! This is about the heaviest the OP has found. LMAO, we're all chiming in with different speakers WE have or have found. I think we missed his point.

Those look VERY jbl (L100T, to me) and look very seriously built.

Watching with great interest.

OMG right!? This deserved the rare interrobang
I made a comment on how they are indeed stout for just over a yard tall, and seem nicely built, then I see a comment down the line attempting to make a point over the use of a unit of measurement for quality.
The salient point should be, I've seen similar sized (around a yard) rack setup speakers which weigh 20 pounds, the ones the OP found seem far better vs. those.
To the OP, congrats, those are a good find.

I think a few folks confused this thread with the other one that IS about the heaviest home speakers made.

In any case those are really nice cast woofers, and with a cabinet that heavy, I bet these dig pretty deep.

For some reason 028TI rings a bell, maybe that is a common Philips tweeter?

If they made their own drivers they wouldn't need to stamp much of anything on them I suppose.

If the foam's good I'd recap those and go to town!

The foam is in excellent condition on the tweeters. Surprisingly, the mid surrounds are intact and don't need replaced. Just the woofers were disintegrated. The guy I purchased them from had them mounted on the wall so there is no sign of critters entering the ports.

Last edited:
I was looking at the crossover, thinking, Man, that looks like an 80's JBL crossover, then I squinted at the top right corner and and read the printing on the PCB. Sure enough!

index.php

IMG_20170410_201841.jpg
I was looking at the crossover, thinking, Man, that looks like an 80's JBL crossover, then I squinted at the top right corner and and read the printing on the PCB. Sure enough!

Yup! I forgot to confirm that after mentioning the "JBL appearance" in the leadoff post. Here's amuch better pic so you don't have to squint.

Last edited:
Okay. Just for grins....

Philips (JBL) crossover....

20170409_152448.jpg

...and a JBL L100t crossover...

DSCF0082.JPG

So, if they are both 3-way, why the 3rd capacitor and 5th resistor on the L100t?

Buy a pair of VMPS Super Tower III's or Bozak Concert Grands bring them home... then you will visit doctor jelly finger and he asks you to turn your head and cough!:rflmao:

My high school library had a pair of Concert Grands...took four guys to move them.

Buy a pair of VMPS Super Tower III's or Bozak Concert Grands bring them home... then you will visit doctor jelly finger and he asks you to turn your head and cough!:rflmao:
My Talons were 220lb each and somewhat pyramid shaped..not fun bringing up stairs

Okay. Just for grins....

Philips (JBL) crossover....

View attachment 907346

...and a JBL L100t crossover...

View attachment 907347

So, if they are both 3-way, why the 3rd capacitor and 5th resistor on the L100t?

Why the extra parts on the JBL crossover? The JBL probably uses a more precise tweeter, which needs a 24db roll-off. It may also need an extra resistance adjustment or have an attenuation switch?!?

I never knew Phillips made speakers of this magnitude.Wonder if they made the amps for these.

Philips made quite a bit of under-the-radar, higher end gear. Or, at least enough nice gear that I don't let the name stop me from taking a look at look at their stuff when I see it!

Back
Top Bottom