Hello everyone & Russco Studio-Pro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JUracan, Mar 23, 2018.

1. JUracan

JUracan New Member

Hi, I'm new to AK. I joined because yesterday I found a ITAME imported Russco Studio-Pro and I want to get it working. I am a university student and I'm enjoyed listening to my father's turntable back home but I don't have one where I live now.

The turntable seems in good condition but it's missing the Micro-Trak 303 headshell and cartridge. I've been looking around the usual places on internet to find a replacement but they all seem to expensive for a starving student :(

I was considering adapting someother headshell or maybe building one from scratch. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to make with some aluminium, a saw and a few files. However for this I would need to find out how much it needs to weight as well as the proper angle and dimensions.

I'm still looking for information so I hope I stumble onto some build-your-own-headshell-considerations guide.

Cheers

xrayspex78 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Micro-Trak 303 headshells are somewhat difficult to find. However, you might see if www.russcoturntables.com can help you with that. And that site has parts, knowledge galore, and restoration ideas. Also, I know Russco and other broadcast station idler turntables very well. And a broadcast engineer. Welcome to AudioKarma.org, you are among friends. Post well, wisely, and often. Enjoy your stay here.

3. JUracan

JUracan New Member

Thanks Kent! I've written an email to russcoturntables.com to see if they can help me in any possible way.

However, I think that finding a replacement is going to be impossible (at least in my monetary range) so I'm thinking more and more about building it. I've found some pictures online and since I have the rest of the tonearm I think I can reference the size and build something similar. After that I can just file aluminium or add weights until the tonearm is balanced.

I still would need to buy a cartridge, do you have any good, nice and cheap (as we say in Spain "bueno, bonito, barato") recommendations? It doesn't need to have the best sound ever. After all, the rest of my audio equipment is just scavenged pieces from here and there: I have an old Kenwood receiver and some newer-but-still-30-years-old bookshelf speakers.

4. cnyel1967

cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

5. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Welcome!

6. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Welcome from Germany to Spain! :)

7. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger All around good guy Subscriber

Welcome to the AK.

8. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

9. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

10. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome

11. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK.

12. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Greetings to ya!

Rome

13. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Welcome to AK! Many different arms were fitted to Russco (and similar turntables from other manufacturers) so if you find it difficult to source a Micro-Trak headshell you might consider fitting a different arm. Like Kent, I am a broadcast engineer as well (although not active at it anymore) and am familiar with Russcos and the like. One arm that was commonly fitted was a Shure M232, usually with a Stanton 500 cartridge. Many also used basic Rek-O-Kut arms. An inexpensive cartridge can give excellent performance with these rugged tables. I still regret not grabbing a Russco or QRK during radio station remodels I did.:(

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  14. Kevin D

Kevin D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome!

15. xrayspex78

xrayspex78 Footprints in the sounds of time Subscriber

Hi JUracan and welcome to AK! Enjoy your audio journey!

16. JUracan

JUracan New Member