Hello everyone & Russco Studio-Pro

JUracan

Hi, I'm new to AK. I joined because yesterday I found a ITAME imported Russco Studio-Pro and I want to get it working. I am a university student and I'm enjoyed listening to my father's turntable back home but I don't have one where I live now.

The turntable seems in good condition but it's missing the Micro-Trak 303 headshell and cartridge. I've been looking around the usual places on internet to find a replacement but they all seem to expensive for a starving student :(

I was considering adapting someother headshell or maybe building one from scratch. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to make with some aluminium, a saw and a few files. However for this I would need to find out how much it needs to weight as well as the proper angle and dimensions.

I'm still looking for information so I hope I stumble onto some build-your-own-headshell-considerations guide.

Cheers

Micro-Trak 303 headshells are somewhat difficult to find. However, you might see if www.russcoturntables.com can help you with that. And that site has parts, knowledge galore, and restoration ideas. Also, I know Russco and other broadcast station idler turntables very well. And a broadcast engineer. Welcome to AudioKarma.org, you are among friends. Post well, wisely, and often. Enjoy your stay here.

Thanks Kent! I've written an email to russcoturntables.com to see if they can help me in any possible way.

However, I think that finding a replacement is going to be impossible (at least in my monetary range) so I'm thinking more and more about building it. I've found some pictures online and since I have the rest of the tonearm I think I can reference the size and build something similar. After that I can just file aluminium or add weights until the tonearm is balanced.

I still would need to buy a cartridge, do you have any good, nice and cheap (as we say in Spain "bueno, bonito, barato") recommendations? It doesn't need to have the best sound ever. After all, the rest of my audio equipment is just scavenged pieces from here and there: I have an old Kenwood receiver and some newer-but-still-30-years-old bookshelf speakers.

Welcome to AK! Many different arms were fitted to Russco (and similar turntables from other manufacturers) so if you find it difficult to source a Micro-Trak headshell you might consider fitting a different arm. Like Kent, I am a broadcast engineer as well (although not active at it anymore) and am familiar with Russcos and the like. One arm that was commonly fitted was a Shure M232, usually with a Stanton 500 cartridge. Many also used basic Rek-O-Kut arms. An inexpensive cartridge can give excellent performance with these rugged tables. I still regret not grabbing a Russco or QRK during radio station remodels I did.:(

Back
Top Bottom