Hello from Arkansas..

Smokey_T

Hello from the foot of the Ouachita mountains. I live in Hot Springs and I found your forum while looking for some information on some Altec Lansing 508s that are for sale on Facebook marketplace. I dated a girl in high school who's father worked for Altec Lansing in Oklahoma City. I was able to score some awesome 6x9s for my car and thought I was the $#!+ !! I think these are meant to be mine because the guy selling them is an old school mate as well. He's asking $115 and I think that's fair. I do not consider myself to be an audiophile since I could never afford the big name systems and speakers. I thought Pioneers were awesome! (They did crank out some hair metal pretty well, just couldn't tell the difference in where the distortion was coming from!) I retired about 3 years ago and recently got divorced and am living alone since all the kids are grown and such. So, I'm in a spot where I can turn it up anytime I want. I was a drummer back in the day so I recently bought an Alesis Dm10 Pro Studio electronic drum set and am in the market for an amp for it. I always wanted to learn guitar as well so first I got a cheap acoustic and plucked around on it but I really wanted to learn bass. So, I bought an Ibanez Bass with a baby amp. 2 days later a friend of mine traded me an electric guitar and another baby amp for a washer. So needless to say I am looking for lots of new sound equipment and look forward to hearing the opinions from those with a lot more experience and knowledge than I. I started a junk removal business about a year ago and that has been an eye opener as to what all people will pay someone to haul off. My 2nd job I acquired and entire living room set from Pottery Barn and was able to sell it for $2500 after they paid me to take it. So far electronic wise it's been mostly huge front heavy old TV's so I'm still waiting on the big score in that area.

Thanks for all the participants' input and the Admins' hard work providing a place like this to come to. I'll probably be picking some brains soon!

Well Welcome to the AK.
Come on in and set a spell.
And I agree with MKG, you don't need to be able to afford big name gear to be an audiophile.
Bartertown is a good place to pick up some great gear for not a ton of money. Often times you will see someone in your local area doing a purge and there ya go. Speakers that are to large to ship economically as an example. Or a turntable. :dunno: Ya just never know.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK! You don’t need to be able to afford big name gear to be an audiophile.
I can’t, and I most definitely am.
Yeah, I guess you are right. I feel like a teenager again in some ways when I'm rolling down the highway with 1000 watts bumping my 2 -12" subs jamming to some old school metal. I'm a 80s metal guy and today's systems sound so much better!

Welcome ,on the opposite side of the spectrum ,you can own hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of high end audio equipment and not be an audiophile ,I'm not an audiophile ,I'm a music lover who can afford expensive gear but prefer to buy used gear .

If your in need of an amp Google the Behringer A-500 and see if it fits your needs,it can be ran as a 2 channel stereo amp @100 watts per channel @8 ohms,or as a single channel amp @ 500 watts single channel @8ohms ,at $149 to $199 brand new with warranty it's a hidden gem ,if your looking for the best head amp for your guitar rig I highly recommend the Marshall 9200 rack mount tube amp ,in 40 years of buying amps the Marshall 9200 is the best sounding & most powerful amp I've ever ran in my guitar rack ,at $600 to $800 used it's a steal ,it can also be used as a dual monoblock amp in a home HiFi system ,and it's gorgeous ,I have the 9100 and 9200 .
https://goo.gl/images/9DxTtV
https://goo.gl/images/XTPkVH

Hey there @Smokey_T, great to have another Arkansas member. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable people on the AK forum and I hope that you enjoy your time here. Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom