Hello from Naperville, Illinois / Lubbock, Texas

JBender

Introduction

I recently dug some 'vintage' audio from the family crawlspace that my father subsequently gave me, and since then I've been looking for some quality audio resources online. This seems to be the place!

Here's a quick rundown of my home audio equipment:

Technics SA-200 Receiver (free from father)
25 WPC (RMS)
0.04% THD

It's underpowered, but seems to deliver clean sound from both the aux port and my turntable.
aud1.jpg

Technics SB-K14 ($12)
140W (don't know if that's peak or RMS)
8 ohm impedance
Built-in crossover

I picked up this pair from Goodwill for $12, and I think they are able to handle all the power my current set-up can produce.
aud2.jpg

Rotel RP-4400 (free from father, $165 R&R)

Cosmetically in good shape, but wouldn't play vinyl when I first pulled it from storage. I took it to Stereo Exchange in Chicago, and the owner completely R&R'd it. From what I could gather, he replaced the belt, re-packed the bearing(s), replaced the cartridge, and balanced the tone-arm. It plays very consistently now, and sounds great.
aud3.jpg

Glad to be here! :wave:

Last edited:
Very good introductory post, and a very good start in audio components, Jon. Welcome to AudioKarma!

Howdy from a fellow Napervillian!!

That's some very nice gear, and the car's nice too! I've actually kinda been thinking about a 350Z, maybe two or three years old. Any thoughts?

You don't by any chance know a Margie, do you?:scratch2:

Nice system (both). Only caution (I'm old enough to caution others now) is to keep your Technics tweeters in working condition by not clipping your Technics receiver. It's not too hard to do.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to AK

I lived in Lubbock for about 4 years, and all 3 of my brothers were Raiders too..

Just curious.. there used to be a really cool night club there called The Planet that I used to work at right off the campus. I'm thinking on 4th street... it was owned by a couple named Stan and Sulana.. Sulana was an oriental lady... is it still around.. probably under a different name?

Welcome to AK, son. I think I know that car, I believe it cut me off once somewhere along Washington Avenue when I was back visiting my dad in Wheaton! Kidding aside, you have a great looking Z car, Jon. Now, if you move one of those two PC monitors off of your desk you can fit more audio gear into your dorm room.

Jon, welcome to AK.

Nice ride.

And I'm digging the look of that Rotel TT.

Well done intro. I'm also in the western burbs of Chicago.

Cheers, Snade

Howdy from a fellow Napervillian!!

That's some very nice gear, and the car's nice too! I've actually kinda been thinking about a 350Z, maybe two or three years old. Any thoughts?

You don't by any chance know a Margie, do you?:scratch2:

Hi! The 350Z (Z33) should be a nice reliable sports car if you find one that was adult-driven and kept in good shape. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few either 'riced out', or in less-than-stellar condition, because younger people can afford them, and subsequently abuse them. It handles well, and the naturally aspirated 3.5L can almost run with the TT Z32.

I'm afraid I don't know a Margie, although my friends in Naperville are generally in the 18-24 age bracket :)

Gibsonian said:
Nice system (both). Only caution (I'm old enough to caution others now) is to keep your Technics tweeters in working condition by not clipping your Technics receiver. It's not too hard to do.

Thanks. I've been scared to overdrive the amplifier for that reason, as I'm not sure that I'd be able to identify clipping if I heard it. I might have to look into building or obtaining some sort of 'clipping meter' to stay safe.

similost said:
Just curious.. there used to be a really cool night club there called The Planet that I used to work at right off the campus. I'm thinking on 4th street... it was owned by a couple named Stan and Sulana.. Sulana was an oriental lady... is it still around.. probably under a different name?

I haven't heard of a place called The Planet, but there is a club on 4th just east of campus that could have been it. It's called 'Club Luxor', and it caters to, ah, 'alternative' lifestyle patrons.

Mystic said:
Welcome to AK, son. I think I know that car, I believe it cut me off once somewhere along Washington Avenue when I was back visiting my dad in Wheaton! Kidding aside, you have a great looking Z car, Jon. Now, if you move one of those two PC monitors off of your desk you can fit more audio gear into your dorm room.

Hehe, thanks. Nothing but love for the dual monitors, cost me $75 a piece brand new several years ago (although as you noted, they take up a tidy bit of real estate). Thankfully I live in a house off-campus, as freshman year I lived next door to the RA in the dorms, and racked up numerous noise-violations from my friends and I listening to music :yes:.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone! I can genuinely say that these are the friendliest forums I have joined to date.

Back
Top Bottom