Hello from Northern NH

DavidEngland

Hey everyone!

This is my first forum entry and I am happy to be here. My hobbies come in waves and I recently got in to vintage audio equipment after selling my 300 gallon reef system. I set out to find some vintage equipment to play vinyl on.

My journey led me to a Marantz 1535, Sony 60 watt bookshelf speakers and Audio Technics turntable. While I liked the idea I could now play vinyl, I was aware I had a zest for more power. Something to really FEEL the music.

I did some research here before joining and liked what I read about Pioneer's SX-1250 receiver, so I took to the internet to find one. I was shocked to find a mint copy in my backyard (just across the border in Northern VT). I live in the middle of nowhere and I found one within a 30 minute drive! I bought it of course, and hooked it up to my little Sony speakers, yuck!

I came back and researched speakers. I read about all kinds of vintage stuff and couldn't pinpoint the speakers I wanted. Out of the blue, the guy I bought my receiver from asked me via email how I was liking it. When I told him I needed better speakers, he told me he had a personal set of ADS 1290's he would sell. I told him I wasn't sure, I had never heard of them and that I would need to research them. His response was great, he said, you're either in the cult or not. Do your research he said, I'll keep them on hand for you.

They were in my truck in 5 hours.

Since then I've picked up a new turntable, Pioneer 115D, completely refurbished and a CTF-9191 cassette deck (needs restoration).

I now realize this is not a hobby. I love music, and this is the only way to have it.

Love Audio Karma.. there is good Mojo here.. tons of knowledge and friendly people just waiting to help out without expectation.

Thanks for all you do!

Last edited:
Welcome to Ak.
I was up in Errol this past weekend and on top of Mount Washington two weeks before - both for car races.
Wonderful country up there!

Welcome to Ak.
I was up in Errol this past weekend and on top of Mount Washington two weeks before - both for car races.
Wonderful country up there!

It is nice up here! I moved up 12 years ago from Portsmouth NH. It took some getting used to, but it's proven worth it! Errol is on the other side of the state and a little north, but I've been through many times trying to get my friends from below to see a moose. If you're in to racing, I am 15 minutes from the Team O'Neil Driving school.

Now I have a place to stay!
I've known Tim (aka Timo) for decades.
I used to be a codriver in rallys and one of my team mates was his role model.

Lots of Moose up there, and bugs too.

Pretty country. My youngest son went to Plymouth State and we loved the drive up there. We got as far as Berlin for a wedding. Hope you have a good time here.

Welcome .... I spent 4 years in the Manchester area back in 1992 - 96. In fact, my oldest son was born in NH. We used to get up to the Northern part (or that direction anyway) in summers to enjoy the mountains, golf and scenery. Very pretty country!

Back
Top Bottom