hello from rebecca near boston

odradek

likes cars that go boom
Hi.

I'm one of those folks who initially joined to ask an annoying question but I've been lurking because this seems like a friendly place. I recently put together my first "real" stereo on a very tight budget. I had my mom's old low-powered Marantz receiver to work with and picked up a pair of New Large Advents that had been re-foamed/re-capped etc. - probably not an ideal pairing, but it's working just fine for me in my teeny little bedroom. Already have an eye on my friend's Mcintosh 1700, though...

I was fortunate enough to hook up with someone who knows what he's doing re: repairing the Marantz - which activity I enjoyed so much that it probably won't be the last time I happily spend an afternoon inhaling resin vapors/burning my hands.

I'm a girl. I figure this is worth pointing out because women seem to be in the minority in the world of vintage audio enthusiasts.

Has anyone in the Boston area been to the MIT flea market? Always wanted to go but haven't had the chance...

Cheers for now...

Last edited:
2220b. There's a bit of a sentimental attachment since it's been in our house since I was born - mostly unused over the past decade, until now.

Welcome rebecca, your Marantz and Advents are a good match and as you say "are just fine for my teeny little bedroom". :yes:

mit flea market? sounds like you better go-i'd have to check that out. who knows what gear and stuff could be there, as well as what interesting(and perhaps helpful) people might be there. and don't assume that some guy selling old picture frames or something doesn't know jack about stereo or electronics-people often relax by dabbling in activities unrelated to their primary expertise. audio is often that for some people.

Excellent system - those classic Marantz receivers are beautiful appearing

2220b.jpg

And a pair of classic Advents - very well regarded and respected speakers.

Congrats and Welcome

That set up is real nice and probably all you need for a small room unless you are looking to blow the roof off! Yes, you are in the minority and getting lots of attention, not a bad thing. I have been here a short time myself and find the folks here are really helpful. Just don't ask about expensive speaker cables...:D

Hello Rebecca near Boston and welcome aboard. Haven't been to the MIT Flea Market yet...maybe this summer.

Howdy.

FYI, Besides MIT there is "NEARfest" in Deerfield, NH in the spring, the twice-a-year NEARC antique radio fleamarket/swap meet in Manchester, NH (there's one in April), and the big annual antique radio fleamarket in Westford, MA (Presidents' Day weekend).

Back
Top Bottom